Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Year (HA! Life!) of the Cat

Hola amigos! Sorry didn't post last night, spent most of it cat-napping, waking up not knowing what day or hour it was. Very disappointed that it wasn't Saturday and that had to face another day of interviewing folks with a rather dim consultant. This is someone I went to high school with. Although a perfectly nice person, he's convinced that (a) I can do all the note taking (b) the interviews are his opportunity to do a sales job and chat up the interviewee (they don't have any real work to do, do they?) and (c) deadline-schmedline! Had to read him the riot act about doing his own work, several times. I hate doing that. In the last interview, with a very very senior person (literally right under CEO), I had to look at my watch several times, shoulder him to the door, and practically shove him through it after 45 minutes. This.man.is.clueless. And he's a 'partner' in the firm which appears to have one person in it. As the manager of this project, I should not have to do this. Instead of saving me work, he is creating plenty of it (for me). And we are paying him to do this. Argh.

A friend from another department asked me about this company (Dimwit's) later in the same afternoon, just wondering who they are, how well they work. Gee, what do you think I said? And this is how reputations are made and lost. Not to brag, but I'm used as a reference a lot in this business (which is a small field) and I don't lie. Can't afford to. The biggest names in this field are very respectful of the time constraints of people they do business with. It's one of the main constraints of senior executives, and they are very grateful for that courtesy, simple as it sounds.

On another note, went to the lawyer's after work, got the will business started. Yea me. Another big burden off my shoulders, although this guy did try to give me a hard time about all my bequests. I just smiled at him until he gave up trying to hassle me. So he'll charge me extra (see next para).

Then got home. It is still standing, painting mostly going well. Except the staircase hallway (light yellow). The wall color is great, the trim color is the nastiest McBurger yellow you've ever seen. Literally lemon yellow. No way am I living with that, I don't care if they charge me extra to change it (Bridg will be living under a bridge at this rate, but .....) so I called the head paint guy in a panic last night to fix/change things. He said he'd take care of it. Needs to be pale, soft yellow. Whew. Man that was a shock. Most Spoiled Cat In The Universe is suprisingly/disturbingly comfy living in her basement quarters these days. Probably hosting cat parties down there.

Mom doing quite well and happy (hoping not to jinx it by saying that). No word from angry bees, but that'll be the case for months/years. Feeling quite peaceful /relieved about that, frankly.

At least it's sunny. And allegedly warm. Made copies of the key to the house, so the painters can come and go without my having to be here (that is a good thing, right?).

Will start visiting you blog-wise soon, right now it's all I can do to get through a day without strangling Dimwit. We have to do so many interviews in a day it's truly disturbing. And draining. The maximum is usually three per day and I think we're up somewhere around double that for the next 2-3 weeks. Hey it keeps us off the streets (snicker). M is having troubles of his own. He's doing the interviews in French, plus they changed his computer (would not let them touch mine) and it isn't letting him do the most simple operations. Poor man. I knew that would happen. Know how Dilbert calls those people (IM/IT) the Information Preventers? He wasn't far off. No offense to any of you who work in that field..it's just the place that I work in...we have the worst set up. I am sure that Dogbert invented it. Really.

OK off to the salt mines.

Hugs, Bridg

10 Comments:

  • At 5/25/2006 09:28:00 AM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    The trials of working life huh?

    Yellows are very difficult colours to choose. They somehow amplify on the wall so you have to go lighter than you think. I know from which I speak - I've made my share of yellow mistakes.

     
  • At 5/25/2006 09:32:00 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Are you going with the yellow because of the psychic?

    I would find choosing paint colours stressful. I can't visualize what it would look like from the chit and I know they often look different when applied and dried. If I ever get a house (ha!) I think I'd have to pay a designer...

     
  • At 5/25/2006 11:45:00 AM, Blogger scrunch said…

    And speaking of cats in basements, when I was younger a friend (girl) had a Persian that was 29 pounds, (seriously!),and had asthma. I could hear it breathing in the background when I called her. Thinking about it, I DEFINTELY have to a post on this as the story gets better....

     
  • At 5/25/2006 06:43:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Why are the highest paid people always the most clueless?

     
  • At 5/25/2006 08:59:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    Yeah, well try making the yellow mistake for a HOUSE color. I live in a banana. Not bad if you close your eyes and run to the door.

     
  • At 5/26/2006 01:43:00 AM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said…

    Heh. I work in IT and think most of IT are morons. Or whackos. Or both. No offense taking whatsoever.

    I got stories for days about the ineptitute of the average IT schlum. The scariest though is seeing some of these clowns in social situations. You think they're bad at setting up a computer system? Wait until you see them try to set up a conversation. It's scary.

     
  • At 5/26/2006 07:24:00 AM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    If we're getting specific about yellow disasters: I've had a tiny, windowless bathroom so bright yellow it hurt to go there. I made a 5 gallon yellow error for the original tanning salon. Believe it or not, Home Depot actually gave let me change it free - that meant the loss was theirs! I have yellow shutters & door on my house - the yellow isn't really wrong but the window trim is almond so I really shouldn't have chosen yellow at all

     
  • At 5/26/2006 03:26:00 PM, Blogger Bethiclaus said…

    Our IT peope are awful, too. My favorite part? To get them to work on your computer, you have to send an email to the Help Desk. I have a problem with my computer. What makes you think I can send you an email?

     
  • At 5/27/2006 06:21:00 AM, Blogger mister anchovy said…

    best avoid strangling anyone at work, even if it would make you feel really good.....

     
  • At 5/27/2006 08:08:00 AM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Wow glad I'm not the only person with yellow issues. Thought I had chosen pretty light colors..but see today's post. It turned out OK in the end but the stress!!!

    You're right WC and Jeannie I am not picking out colors again without consulting you!

    DMJ can just picture you making a run for the house with eyes shut.

    Scrunchie looking forward to that post.

    Tshsmom, it's a rule.

    Zombieslayer, I would LOVE that. Have two bros (I think I have two bros) who are in that biz and you're darn right. It IS funny.

    Bethiclaus thanks for the visit and I think we have the same rule chez the office. Kinda stupid isn't it??

    Mr. Anchovy hi!! Yah kinda illegal but what a fantasy huh?

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home