Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Sweetest Thing

Ran across the name of an old high school boyfriend a day or two ago as I was researching a topic in Vancouver, B.C. He was listed as the lead spokesperson for Persons Living With HIV and AIDS. I could not bear for the highly intelligent, gifted lad I knew, who was determined to be a doctor, to have this disease (and thus not be living his dream). It couldn't be my guy, could it?

So I checked out all G.I.'s on the Internet. Sure enough, one is an m.d. in Kingston, Ontario. Yet, I contacted each of the others too with the same question: Laurentian High School? Twin Bro?
All came back negatory but one, the one in Kingston. Yep it was my guy. I was his first girlfriend.

He introduced me to Jimmy Hendrix and Tommy/Magic Bus. Sent me yellow roses for passing my drivers' test. Gave me a gold locket for Valentines' Day and chocolate in a red velvet box. Listened to Bridge Over Troubled Waters with me.

GI called tonight and we spoke for at least an hour and a half. It was like very little time had passed at all. He was and still is the sweetest man I know. Married, but still quite sweet--sentimental as he put it. And likely to drop in my office so I have to lose 80 pounds in about a week (wish I was kidding about that). He has an interest in vintage guitars so is in Ottawa about once a month. MAN have I got weight to lose.

Don't want to give you the wrong idea. This wasn't a booty call or anything, just a long chat between two close buds. Sweet and warm. Did feel guilty about his being a doctor and me being a medical mess. He was concerned about the mess I'm in/am, and I said that I didn't want him to think I was after free advice (he offered to answer questions but since I do a fair bit of research I didn't really have any to ask besides was too excited to be talking to him in the first place).

But after a pretty stinky day, am now on cloud 9. Yes the probs of the day will still be there tomorrow but somehow they don't matter as much right now. I'll deal with them tomorrow after tonight's sweetness.

AHHHH sweet youth!!

*grin*

Night world!

Bridg (feeling much happier and lighthearted)

7 Comments:

  • At 4/19/2006 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    Nice story - so he doesn't have AIDS right? He's a doc working on it though. I think it's great that he's willing to visit. That's rare.

     
  • At 4/19/2006 03:56:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    How COOL!! My first boyfriend is like that too. He and L got along famously when we got our families together.

     
  • At 4/19/2006 06:47:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Wait - I'm a little confused, too. The guy with AIDS was your boyfriend, or the GI in Kingston?

    Sorry, my brain ain't 100% right now and I read the post a couple of times to make sure I wasn't reading things.

    Glad you're cloud 9 after a stinky day.

     
  • At 4/19/2006 08:19:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Everyone, no he doesn't have AIDS, he's a General Practioner in Kingston Ontario. When we were talking it was as if very little time had passed. His step daughter was his receptionist and we got along famously (we're both pretty open).

    I hope his wife is like her daughter and am betting she is.

    Very happy for all of them and estatic that they're all well and happy. Very very happy.

    It's just like him to want to visit. Just like him indeed. Very thoughtful, very open, very sentimental. I'm the same way (I hope). Just too fat!!!

    WC, his initials are GI. I was looking up alternative treatments for bipolarism and something came back from this GI in Vancouver (the AIDS guy). I was kinda frantic to see his name, he was from Vancouver originally. What a tragedy that would have been for this future doctor to have come down with this...so I Googled his name, came up with ten GI's, and sent e mails to all of them. For the 'real' GI, there was only a phone number and yep, he called me back. His stepdaughter/receptionist played my voice mail message for him, and my first name is very old fashioned and I guess my voice is a little unique (high school buds have recognized it although they don't recognize my face). He knew who it was right away.

    neat, as he would say!

     
  • At 4/19/2006 08:20:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Tshsmom am so glad you've experienced this too. How incredibly cool....

     
  • At 4/19/2006 08:21:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thanks Jeannie!!! IT sure is rare!!

     
  • At 4/20/2006 12:54:00 PM, Blogger scrunch said…

    80 pounds?? One week??
    Yea, face it, Bridge...you are you..you're a unique person and it doesn't mean diddly if you're 98 pounds or 310. It's your personality and your humour and your intelligence that makes you what you are.

    I'm serious for once.

    But my brain is saying, 'Put a smile on that fat face and be yourself!!'

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home