Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

I"m Gonna Go Eat Worms

No it ain't self pity, world,...I've been cooking a lot lately...everything BUT worms and it's raining now so....

Made the brown rice thingie a few minutes ago. Nowhere near as great as anything WC makes but really good (no it isn't my recipe. It comes from a magazine called Real Simple). Contains feta cheese, brown rice, asperagus (1/2 cup I just use tips) chicken boullion, fresh dill and cashews. You boil the boullion (1 cup), add the rice uncooked (1/2 cup) and put it into an oven (covered) --the oven has been preheated to 400-- for 45 minutes till the liquid's absorbed. Meanwhile put asperagus into a pot, cover with cold water and bring to boil, then cook for 2-3 minutes. Then run under cold water to stop cooking. Wait for rice to finish. Add feta (6oz or 125 ml), 1 tbsp fresh cut dill, 1 cup cashews. You are done. You're supposed to add peas but I dare you to be able to fit any in. Feta isn't the most umm dietic cheese but man this is a great-tasting side dish. Goes with just about anything.

My bossy cat got me up at 7:30. Started cleaning out the (4) book cases in her/computer room. WELL there are now piles of stuff to recycle everywhere. Great honkin' ones. Tried to hook my sound system up so that I could HEAR it again (the Rogers idiots wrecked that) when they installed their cable on my TV. Was so annoyed that I disconnected it today. Not like there's anything on except Pretty Woman, Pretty In Pink, Back To The Future, Jaws and Top Gun anyway) and failed. So called in Handyman Connection to fix that and my drawdrapes which I"m not ummm up to fixing either. It's infuriating feeling 'girly' but...hey. At least things are starting to look more organized.

OK gotta go buy groceries I forgot to get yesterday (Mom too). And get dressed (it's only 2:47). Later, world. Enjoy your Sunday!

Bridg

p.s. Am now beginning to understand the despair of you folks married to pack rats.

Update:

M called and wrote me two notes. He said to write the trouble maker a stern note (He knows her, she's a female a**hole) I call them cloaca, which are organs birds use for the same purpose as well as sex. All of you who just went "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww"--yah that's why I use the term. Sounds OK but gross. Anyway, now that I've had time to cool off and clean up (sorta) had a nicer and more to the point less offensive wording, so we're in agreement.He had wanted me to call him about stuff like this, which is great.His MIL isn't any more sick than usual, thank heavens. Mom and I got our stuff, I fixed/set hers up, Can't believe I worked as hard as I did in this room today. It still looks like it always did yet somehow the paper recycle bin is full (2 days after it was emptied) and we have two full trash bags now. How did this happen, hmmmmm?I think that the 'Sell this house" folks would cry if they saw this place.

Night all, am falling asleep (finally!!!) love ya!

Bridg

8 Comments:

  • At 4/23/2006 04:47:00 PM, Blogger Tara's World said…

    I love Real Simple! And what a great blog you have here...Thanks for your kind words on mine :)

     
  • At 4/23/2006 05:51:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    I gave birth to a packrat, does that count?
    That rice sounds delicious, I'll have to try that one out on the guys.

     
  • At 4/23/2006 08:29:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    I confess that I am a pack rat, but I am blessed with a basement.

    I had to laugh just a little on you calling the Handyman to fix the drapes :)

     
  • At 4/23/2006 08:38:00 PM, Blogger jipzeecab said…

    Asparagus sounds scary but overall it sounds great..maybe substitute the peas for the asp..?

     
  • At 4/23/2006 09:13:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Tara I liked your blog too! Just ran across Real Simple by accident and BOY it is fantastic!! Welcome to the zoo!!!

    Tshsmom it sure does! I forgot to add, when the rice goes into the oven, put a cover on the pot, K? It really is great. No onion/garlic but man the taste is hard to beat.

    DMJ isn't that a hoot? The drapery rod is really long, about 8 feet (no kidding). I can't handle anything that long.

    Jipzee, the feta kills the taste of the asperagus! I bet the peas would be a good substitute too.But you really can't taste the other stuff either. Or at least, that's the story I've sold myself!

     
  • At 4/23/2006 09:13:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    p.s. DMJ, you did read my basement cleaning post??? Took me a month to get INTO my basement last May?

     
  • At 4/23/2006 09:24:00 PM, Blogger starbender said…

    Mmmm... I Luv RICE--
    and beans...
    I think they were
    portarican, yummmy. I wish I knew how 2 make those.
    :]

     
  • At 4/24/2006 01:13:00 AM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Starbender, I'm not WC, who is a FAB cook, but the beans and rice thing is really easy.

    You cook them separately. The rice is cooked however you cook rice (or like to cook rice). The ratio is 1 for the fluid (water, bullion) to 1/2 of the rice (brown's the most healthy, they usually use white. Basmati's great).Get the liquid boiling, dump in the rice, cover it, put into hot oven preheated to 400, leave covered in pot in oven for 45 minutes till liquid's absorbed. Make really really sure about the liquid in this case.

    Meanwhile wash and drain the beans in running water, or leave them in their own juice if you prefer. I like mine steamed in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes with some spices thrown in but I'm weird. Like lemon peels and lemon juice, sprinkling of dill (I love dill) and a few slices of garlic).

    Ta da, you are done. The rice is put first on the place. Alll the liquid should be absorbed so that the rice is firm. The beans should sit nicely on top of the white rice.

    Did anyone tell you that this dish represents how well the races get along in Cuba? That's what they told us. Also the story behind the Cuba Libre drink...

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home