Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Halleluia!

Hey world! It's gorgeous but SNOWY here!! Very funny Up There!! You missed April Fools' Day!

But at least it's sunny. Did get to sleep sometime after 3 this a.m. Had doctor's appointment (shrink) at 11. Bossy cat gets me up at 9:40.

The reason for the title of tonight's post? I know why I'm not sleeping.

Well the reason isn't all that terrific.

It's partly menopause.

It's partly because I'm bipolar!

Suspected for years that my late father was an undiagnosed bipolar. He could go from rages to giggles in seconds flat. He also had no use for doctors, especially psychiatrists and didn't believe in medicine either. Which explains why he died from his first heart attack at age 66. And this kind of stuff tends to run in families (I mean the bipolar stuff but it also applies to heart stuff, duh).

I don't rage. Do get the giggles rather badly and can get kind of blue (dysthymia)--that's why I take Paxil, which co-incidentally reduces hot flashes. There are different degrees of bipolar, and at least one of them expresses itself as sleep disorders. Have always had problems in April. Why I have NO idea, might be the lack of sunlight that kind of reaches a cresendo by then. Exposure to sun can improve mood...

So the bipolar thing plus menopause equals no sleep. This is also why the over the counter sleep aids didn't work--it treats the wrong (for me) thing. Last night I toook two Unisom (doubled the dose) and it didn't work at all.

I am back on some kind of tranquilizing sleep med. Felt very silly going to my doctor again, but she said that I did the right thing in acting quickly. Also felt kind of betrayed--have been exercising, eating right, no stress (on vacation), etc. But hey, genetics are genetics.

Looking forward to sleep! Glad to know the cause, and VERY glad that things are (I hope) under control.

For other breaking news--Bro and I talked with Mom. The three of us are 'interviewing' stairlift folks on Thursday, then going out to lunch. Mom will thus be (more) mobile shortly! Bro also fixed her garage door--now she can get out on her scooter. Aquafit starts (for her, maybe me also) in two weeks. We lectured her (nicely) on the importance of eating, taking her meds and exercising.

Ta da! This alone made taking the time off worthwhile. Mom tends to put stuff off until it becomes a screaming four alarm emergency, and then we all get stuck with last minute crisis stuff. Hopefully not this time.

Now, off to find a lightbox.

Have a great evening, world!

Bridg

4 Comments:

  • At 4/04/2006 06:49:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Wow!! You've managed to maintain yourself quite well, all this time, without even knowing you're bipolar. There's usually a "crash and burn" moment with this disorder. That's usually when it gets diagnosed.
    I'm sooo happy this didn't happen to you!! (((((hugs))))

     
  • At 4/04/2006 07:45:00 PM, Blogger Peter said…

    Remember the good old days Bridget, when there wasn't a title for and a cure, (read drug) for everytime we felt a bit off-colour.
    Or am I being to simplistic, Perhaps like your father was?

     
  • At 4/04/2006 08:45:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    Well hot damn! Knowledge is power. Please take care of yourself.

     
  • At 4/04/2006 09:39:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Tshsmom, thank you! Am not all that happy to have this thing but very relieved to know what it is (and that I'm not manifesting it like Dad did). Did fall asleep for a few hours this aft, probably due to the relief. ((((Hugs)))) right back!!!

    Peter, I remember those days quite fondly! That's because I was a lot younger and less knowledgeable then ;)

    DMJ,yes it is. Anything, even that diagnosis, beats not knowing. I will and thanks for sticking by!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home