Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Monday, April 24, 2006

59th Street Bridg Song

Hey World, how goes it? Rainy and cool here but THINGS ARE GETTING GREEN (the ones that are supposed to be green, I mean) and the boidies (that's birds in Chicagoeese) are singing.
Meant to go into work, truly I did. But the last service guy left here at 5:20. Here's how it went....the satellite dish folks were to show up between 8 and noon. That meant, as far as I was concerned, not getting dressed/showered etc. till they left (just got dressed, ate, brushed teeth etc. and waited). While I waited, put away laundry, changed linen and cat's litter (not for each other), etc. They did come, and that's when the fun started.

Among other things, had to empty that #$%^ sort of oak wall unit. This took a long time, had to do it myself (arm in sling? Heart thingie? yah and lots and lots of %#^#&^ books. What was I thinking? Why read at all?). Then needed to get extension cord. Did I have one? Nope. Ran out and bought six of the $#^&&s. Meanwhile he (the installer) put the dish thingie on the roof in the rain (thank Heaven the condo made everyone replace their rooves last year, despite the cost). He also installed the other stuff on the TVs in the house. The pics are lovely, even though it's rainy. Have to leave the receivers on for 15 hours (called to check. They said yes but that doesn't mean leaving the TVs on. What the heck? OK......).

As the dish installer man left (around 1:00), I called work--too pooped to work. Then the phone rang.

Remember the handyman coming to help with the drapery rod and the stereo stuff? He had a cancellation and asked if he could he come over at 3:30. "You'll like this guy" says the scheduling lady. "He has the same sense of humor that you do, and he can handle both jobs" (she knows me because I've dealt with them for years--fixing the messes I make trying desperately to do it myself ha ha ha)."OOOOH yah!", says Bridg, "Please send him over, I don't take that much time off from work".

He is as promised. Funny, and smart to boot (don't get any ideas people, he is not interested in the female gender). I like him so much, I give him my unopened spare onion dicer from Ashton Green (dices onions, no tears. It.is.lovely, dishwasher safe, high quality and just the best invention since air conditioning and puppies. Plus now I have more space in my gadget drawer. Even offered him a bottle of wine but he refused. Did give me a discount too. Classy guy.

Noticed something when moving all those #$%&^ books around (many of which were cookbooks). The way that we cook, or at least the way that I cook, changed dramatically during a relatively short timeframe--my lifespan thus far. When I got married (Black Saturday, 1975), fondue was a big thing. My ex loved desserts and fondue. Many of my cookbooks' recipes were complicated, required large amounts of time, and frankly were not at all healthy. They tasted great but.... And this was 31 years ago. For some of you, that's before you were born. For others, it might not seem all that long ago. Funny. I'd estimate that there are about 30 cookbooks in my house right now that are only fit for recycling, yet during 'their day' would have been considered (ha ha) the cream of the crop.

Hmm.

And two firsts today, although not biggies on a world scale--forgot to eat lunch, and actually ate veggies (broccoli) because I wanted to. And it tasted good. And lightening didn't strike anywhere near me. Hmmm again.

Ta Da! Hell has now officially frozen over, world. Send the troops home.

This was the weirdest day, in what feels like a new wave kind of personal trend. I apologize for going on so much about myself, but what the hell is going on? It's like this bipolar diagnosis and the R****s whacko were GOOD things. Have been busy making all kinds of changes--home, health, even work-related. Those of you who read my good friend Drink More Jack's blog--the April 9, 06 post--remember when he was recently tortured about where he was going? Feeling like he was drifting/purposeless? I've felt like that for a good (HA! Bad!) 16 years or so, other than 'doing my job'. Even now I can't answer that question directly, but feel very driven. It's more than spring cleaning, it's like I have to get this stuff done and have to get it done now. It isn't being manic, my doctor said that manic = rage, and I sure don't have that at all. Not even close. Almost like waking up on a new planet but it feels like home.

Strange but nice feeling.

Have a pleasant evening, world.

Not in Kansas anymore but liking it, Bridg

7 Comments:

  • At 4/24/2006 09:35:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    You have been on a run lately. All goodness, even if your life productivity is starting to make all of us out here look bad. That's ok, I am hoping it is contagious for once :)

    I say if you use that company often, then you should start asking for the new guy to do your work.

    When you get your life in order, come on down and start on mine...

     
  • At 4/24/2006 11:56:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    DMJ would be most happy to provide my services (except vacuuming, which I suck at--pun intended). Maybe the productivity's been lacking at this end for some time?

    Will definitely have John back for other work. He's fast, funny and a hoot.

    Hope it is contageous. Wouldn't wish the 16 year drift on anyone...

     
  • At 4/24/2006 11:56:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    p.s. I meant hope the energy is contageous....

     
  • At 4/25/2006 07:49:00 AM, Blogger Vest said…

    I have read your past five posts,no real serious comments from me , I just like to know you are plodding along nicely.
    BTW What is a Onion Dicer, describe please.

     
  • At 4/25/2006 04:10:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    I think this is contagious, Bridg! You, me, and Vancouver Voyeur, ALL seem to have caught the bug. Let's hope it lasts until we finish our projects.

     
  • At 4/25/2006 06:19:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    I am very curious about your cookbook collection. Not that I don't have a huge one myself...but...

    Did you get PVR with your sattelite? Please say you did. If so, I am so jealous!

     
  • At 4/25/2006 08:02:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Vest, I sent you a copy of the onion thingie under separate cover...

    tshsmom, I sure hope so. But I'm thinking that a combo of the bipolar diagnosis/getting the right meds, being fed up with the physical/R****s wacko issues and getting in touch with GI combined to give me some energy? Who knows!

    WC, what is a PVR? Personal Video Recorder? I don't think I did. Don't remember ordering one. Am still learning this dish stuff after having cable for the last almost 40 years (the old doggie learning new tricks). Tough but cool....

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home