Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Rock 'n' Roll Lullaby

Hi world! Hope your middle of the week is at least painless?

Woke up late again and today decided that it just wasn't worth going in to work. Right. Stayed home and slept, caught up on housework.

Part of yesterday that I didn't mention in yesterday's post was that M was somewhat tough to be around. First, he's hiring someone who is a bit like La Bitch in the last office (difficult to work with). He gets into these 'fits' where anything negative that I say is (to him) an encroachment on his bossly territory. All I did was report my perceptions. He can do as he likes (thanks to me ---Bridg gives herself a head slap), that's what bosses do. But the rest of us have to put up with her. Thank God NBG takes an active role in the goings-on of the organization.

Second, a few things that depend on him doing things at work haven't happened. Some of them are close to a week late, others are critical, some not. All of them are languishing. This.drives.me.nuts. I don't ignore deadlines. Many of them truly matter. But all of us are human, it's just that these things are beginning to pile up like snowdrifts and none of us can work around them.

Lastly, we talked about my asking him to intervene/say SOMETHING in yesterday's meeting. One of the boneheads in the meeting was a very aggressive and junior person who (1) asked the co-chair to explain what the group had done to date because he had not done the background reading (ummm the rest of us are paid quite a lot, and we aren't paid to listen as someone else does his homework for him--this was scheduled as a two hour meeting), and (2) asked questions 'from the book' about why things had/had not been done. In our profession, the book is not always followed in some areas because the theory doesn't work well when applied. That's just the way it is. I explained why the book wasn't followed normally in the field. When he first asked that question, the entire room fell silent. Mostly because it was a very ummm well I don't usually use this term, but stupid/naieve question. M said that he was busy reading the body language around the room and that it simply was not the time to offer a solution/answer--and that if one intervenes prior to that, you are part of the problem.

Not too happy with that comment either.

The (bad) person he's hiring was there too, and made a very bad intervention ('we can't do this because')...it was along the lines of we're too busy to fill out our income tax forms (that kind of logic). The real problem was that she presented that view on behalf of our entire organization, which she doesn't represent (M, I and she do that).

All in all I'm not very happy with M and yesterday at all. Could not face going in there today so I didn't. He can be mad all he wants, just without me there.

Pauly told me that NBG is very happy with me but isn't entirely sure of M. At first I thought that it was just a matter of becoming used to each other. Now I'm seeing some clay in my hero's feet. It's disappointing. What really kills me is the arrogance (the 'I'm right, piss off' thing). I didn't want the kids to see this.

Oh well I'm sure brighter days are ahead. Despite the sun outside, this isn't one of them.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, OK world?

Bridg

6 Comments:

  • At 3/01/2006 03:59:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    It can be devastating when our heroes disappoint us! :(

     
  • At 3/01/2006 05:02:00 PM, Blogger jipzeecab said…

    Keep trusting your instincts..

     
  • At 3/01/2006 05:07:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your Bridge. Like tshsmom said, it's hard to see our heroes not quite live up to their herohood. Especially in this situation, because if memory serves, you were key in getting M hired, right?

    I think you did a wise thing by keeping distant today. No need to go in and exacerbate your feelings around this by not having a bit of perspective. Which I hope is what you gained today.

     
  • At 3/01/2006 06:42:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thanks for reminding me, jipzee. Every time I ignore those instincts it bites me somewhere I don't want to be bitten!!

     
  • At 3/01/2006 09:42:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    A wise friend, another from Canada btw, told me once that the only person you have to face is the one in the mirror every morning. Do well in their eyes, and everyone else will not matter.

     
  • At 3/01/2006 11:12:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    WC, DMJ and tshsmom, you three are incredibly wise. Thanks so much for the support and advice. WC, yes I was the one who got him hired, and you're right, that's partly why this bothers me so much besides the feet-of-clay thing. DMJ thanks for the reminder of what matters..

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home