Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Higher and Higher

Jackie Wilson's version was great (usually like/prefer the original) but Crystal Gayle's was better...anyway!!! How are you world? How was Saturday?

It was sunny and warm here...a really freak day in O town in March, lemme tell you. Sun shining, birds singing and ice melting.

Wow.

OK I called Mom last night and talked to her about EVERYTHING her case worker told me. And all of it's true--she isn't taking her meds regularly, she stopped exercising and seeing friends, and no she doesn't eat much except cookies.

So I explained that ALL of us think that she needs to be in a care facility (nursing home type thing) since she can't take care of herself. I pointed out that no women in her family had ever died before 90. That would give her, at 77, quite a long time to live with folks I would call severely ill (Sis called them gum chewers--meanie!). She's too young to go into a home now. But since she was behaving/slipping this way we have little choice. Not that anyone could or would force such a choice on her--but that's how bad things were getting.

Well, that changed things. She finally realized how much she'd slipped, and that all of us were in agreement about it. That meant that things had to change. Not eating well makes you feel bad in general (low energy, low protein diet), made her hair fall out, then the lack of meds made her vulnerable to mini-strokes and other heart issues--which makes her feel weak and depressed so she didn't go out/eat well...and on it goes. So it's a package deal. She agreed to clean up her act, and Sis and I are supervising it.

So today, I took her to get her hair done (anything that makes you feel better about yourself is helpful here). Got her herbal stuff too including ginko, Bio Fenn (GREAT hair restorer) and some other stuff. Then took her to brunch (her power was out. That happens a lot in our suburb) and picked up a few groceries for nice breakfasts and lunch. By the time we got back, Sis was there. We both talked to Mom again about her health etc. and how she was hurting herself. She agreed (well, both of us are pretty strong argue-ers). Losing her driver's license was a big blow, from which she didn't really recover/adjust. Well, she's going to now. Either that or Sis and I are going to pay taxis by the month to help her out. Not that we're well off but we'll manage it!

Mom's calling the chair lift and sit-bath folks on Monday AND so am I to get estimates.

At 6:00 her power was still off, so I took her to dinner. By the time we got back after that, the power was on. Made sure that she took her night meds too.

This is a new deal, her behaving with meds, friends and exercise. I'm doing the same myself...more to ensure that SHE'S OK than anything else.

Boy this feels good.

Thanks for all the good-wish vibes. I'm sure they played a big role in today's doings.

Sent an e mail to M telling him what was up and mentioned that he had been through the same thing. Got back a relatively curt note, I am more than a bit disgusted, but it's not like he's my bf or anything.

My head's been stuck up my butt for so long about that guy! When am I gonna learn? Well, it's sinking in...I"m a slow learner.

Anyway, love ya world


Big hugs, Bridg

11 Comments:

  • At 3/11/2006 08:01:00 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    Best of luck to your mom and you! I volunteer for a retirement community and while it's a great facility, I know that everyone there would love to be home as long as possible.

     
  • At 3/11/2006 08:18:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    You're right, all that stuff can affect her health/memory. I'm praying that she'll stick to her routine so she can stay at home.
    I don't even want to think about my parents when it's time to give up driving! I'm an only child and that one won't go well, I'm SURE!

     
  • At 3/11/2006 08:23:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thanks Beth...that is a really noble thing to do...

    Tshsmom, Hope it'll go well but hope even more that it's a LONG way off...I think Mom's glaucoma made things much worse re driving.

     
  • At 3/11/2006 08:27:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    Glad to hear that you and your sister are in agreement on this subject. It takes a whole family to show love, support, and compassion.

     
  • At 3/11/2006 09:57:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thanks for the encouragement and wise words, Jack...you're absolutelyright on....

     
  • At 3/12/2006 06:32:00 AM, Blogger Rhiannon said…

    Have you had your Birthday yet Bridge? If so Happy Belated Birthday! If not Happy "soon" Birthday.

    I'm very sorry to hear of our trial you are going through with your mother..its not easy hang in there.

    Blessings,

    Rhi

     
  • At 3/12/2006 11:34:00 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Bridg: I'm glad you and your sis were able to talk honestly with your mom, and have her on side with you. It's an awful position for you to be in, I'm sure. I worry about how I'll cope when my parents are starting to age and need help. My mom lives overseas and I have no idea who's going to take care of her when she's in her golden years.

    Spring at last, in O-Town? Should we not jinx it by not saying it? I don't know... I hope it sticks this time. It's been a long winter for you, I know.

     
  • At 3/12/2006 12:08:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Rhi, thanks it was on Wednesday--am getting up there!!

    WC, thanks so very much. It is easier being able to be frank with each other, and the three of us share a special relationship that way, thank God!! Hope when you get to this point that somehow things are smooth.

    Spring does appear to be here--birds singing like mad outside and it's raining!! Snow snow go away....

     
  • At 3/13/2006 12:29:00 PM, Blogger Pirate said…

    these are tough situations that some lucky families have to eventually face. I to come from a long line of livers. so many of my grandparents see 90 plus.

    as for Crystal Gale. What is she up to these days. i saw her in the 80s because my wife at the time loved her. i was amazed how small she was.

     
  • At 3/14/2006 12:45:00 PM, Blogger scrunch said…

    I'm also happy that you and your sister are in agreement..we had a bit of trouble with my mother over the years, and although we did try to help at different times, we've never been close enough to agree on whether the sun was shining or not. I guess what I'm trying to say (badly) is to do what all of you think is the right thing to do for her. Two Words?....FAMILY...LOVE.

     
  • At 3/14/2006 01:31:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thanks Scrunch and Pirate! Welcome to the zoo, Pirate....

    Needless to say, it really helps to have the whole family involved in stuff like this. Thank heavens Sis and I agree and talk to each other a lot.

    The bros, on the other hand...love 'em but they hate stuff like this...

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home