Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Every Time You Go Away

What is going on, world? I found out last night that my great bud Peggy in Newfoundland has breast cancer. They're operating Monday, got the news Thursday, doing a mastectomy which is a pretty major thing. MAN I hope she's OK. She moved from O town to St. John's to keep a long time pal of hers company because SHE had breast cancer--a very aggressive form that killed this lady (Pam) in less than a year. Peggy doesn't have that kind, thank God.

Anyway, got my hair done today because I'm tired of everyone looking at my big white roots (trust me they were hugs), and heard that another pal, the person who referred me to this salon, had breast cancer recently too.

What're the odds? Are we just more aware of the beast called cancer or is it truly more prevalent?

Will post more positively later...I'm just in shock.

Bridg

5 Comments:

  • At 2/04/2006 10:52:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    Detection is more prevalent in today's society so it is caught earlier. I will send well wishes to your friend. May she be strong and feel all of the support that she truly has.

     
  • At 2/05/2006 12:13:00 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    I am so sorry to hear about your friend, Bridg. DMJ has it right though: it's awareness and early detection that's changed, I think. All the attention is at least making women more aware and more likely to do self exams, etc. I wish your friend all the best. Mastectomy is a terrible surgery and I hope she heals up well. I've been told it's less traumatic than it used to be because, depending on the tumors, they don't take away as much muscle or flesh as they once did.

    Hope you're relaxing this weekend, my friend.

    (((hugs)))

     
  • At 2/05/2006 08:08:00 AM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    You wouldn't believe the number of people I know with various forms of cancer!
    There are days when it really gets to me. I feel so guilty for whining about Z's problems.
    Stay strong; our friends need our support!

     
  • At 2/05/2006 09:04:00 AM, Blogger flea said…

    sorry to hear about your friend. and i totally agree with dmj & wc. but it does seem that we here or know of more people getting breast cancer. makes you wonder sometimes doesn't it.

    take care and just be there to support her as best as you can

     
  • At 2/05/2006 02:48:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thank you all my friends. Peggy's sounding fine, her mom is there taking care of her, and I think mentally at least she's OK.

    Also agree with DMJ and WC about early detection. Peggy caught this one herself, it would not have shown up on a mammogram even though she's had them.

    WC thanks for the news about it being less traumatic..and DMJ/Flea/tshsmom,thanks on Peggy's behalf for you good wishes (she reads this blog).

    Peggy sent the moose pics that follow...ever the Newfoundlander!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home