Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Conga

Every once in a while, things (or is it forces) combine that pull you back to reality, world. I've had this stupid cold since January 16 or so (now going into chest, yahoo head's clear) but noticed that stories of Flight 93 have been everywhere on TV. Have been obsessed with that story since it first happened. Of all flights to try to take over, the hijackers sure picked the wrong one. Am so terribly proud of whatever those folks did, and God bless them and their families. Then the news about Peggy and my other friend Vicky came literally one day apart.

Doesn't that show or highlight how unpredictable it all is? Vicky's one of us (a smart alek) who got into management quickly. We were a duo of pranksters when we worked together, VERY Hawkeye Pierce-ish, who didn't take much seriously. Both of us are single and frankly content as such. Then something like this happens, and in her case, Vick's had to deal with a bunch of nasty family things (serious illness of mother, etc.). Peggy has two little kiddies, I think they're around 10-12 but it's hard to visualize that, I remember her telling me that she was pregnant with the first one like it was yesterday. Pegg's gotten her doctorate, moved back to Newfoundland, found Mike (her CL husband), had kiddies and became an executive also since we first met. I bailed out of management and have gone through six posts since then (and finally found where I should be). Oh by the way, Pegg's DEFINITELY one of us, quiet but a real wit. Since she specializes in bugs, I keep sending her presents for Christmas and birthdays that have to do with insects (amber, soap with red ants in it, etc.). Can't stand the thought that either of these first class ladies is or was seriously ill and BOTH of them are younger than I am.

Mom and I compared notes a while ago. She has two friends who have passed away, I have over 50. Isn't that odd? Most of my pals who died suffered from cancer. Very few from heart ailments.

Have no idea of what, if anything, this means. Maybe it's a function of age, definitely includes, as DMJ and WC said, earlier detection. Perhaps longer living too--in the 1600, to reach 30 was old age.

My dad lived his whole life under pressure. He had no parental examples of how to behave (as a parent, as a professional) so he had to wing it. Being an undiagnosed manic-depressive with a horridly strong sense of drama, this made things incredibly tense most of the time at home and on the job. Am not saying that I'm better than he was but sure have avoided causing the stress that he did and have not passed that on to children and am very very very grateful for that. My poor mom on the other hand had a very selfless father who died when she was young and a career-driven mother with a mean streak. Yet Mom and her sister are two of the kindest, nicest folks you'd ever want to meet. Think that most of what my siblings and I have in terms of people smarts we got from both parents (do like Mom, don't do like Dad).

Am continuously surprised that life wound up with me (a) living in North America (always assumed I"d be somewhere else), (b) not married and (c) childless, even though it was never a strong drive to have kids. Vicky feels the same way, and both of us said that if we had to do it all over again we'd be in medicine (doctors). Isn't that odd? But kinda cool. The man who taught me everything I know about the field I work in (am kinda known in it) did so for no apparent reason at all, Ron just wanted to dump all of his knowledge--and he was a well-respected expert--into someone's head and I just happened along. He didn't have children either, was twice divorced, and you would have liked him world. Ethics up the ying-yang, smarts like you wouldn't believe and a take-it-or-leave it attitude that made folks either love him or hate him.

Why am I blithering on like this? Because things like this make you think ....about what difference it made that you (I) lived at all. Having kids is one big thing, but if you don't, what then? Hopefully, the quote I read somewhere (Erica Jong) plays into it--it has to do with the lives you've touched, for good or bad. The effects passed on to offspring you (I) haven't given birth to but somehow influenced.

Here's hoping that on balance, it's been positive, and that I've managed through teaching or example to pass on Ron's legacy to others.

Maybe this is a reminder to be mindful of that. Have seen (e.g. through Evil Witch) what happens when emotions/power plays rule, and have done my best to correct that simply by being kind/professional. Hope it's taken hold, hope the impact's been good. These young folk I work with are leaders. I know they'll take what they've seen and learned forward. And being teamed with M sure helped amplify the message.

Sorry for the wandering rant. It's just a 'thinking' day today.

Love you all, Bridg

7 Comments:

  • At 2/05/2006 06:08:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    I truly believe that you have and will continually make a difference in this world.

     
  • At 2/05/2006 07:33:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    I agree with DMJ! Sometimes I think I've made more of a difference in other kid's lives than in the lives of my own kids.

     
  • At 2/05/2006 07:36:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thank you both, DMJ and Tshsmom. I feel the same way about you both. Guess each of us in our own way does...

     
  • At 2/05/2006 10:40:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Bridg: you are living what you were meant to live and that's a great gift. As it was for the people you mentioned. Not everyone has that kind of life. The randomness of illnesses, whatever form they take, teach everyone touched by them something - and that is also a gift.

    Who knows why we get sick? I have my theories, as does everyone. We live in a world with a lot of pollution, we eat more preservatives than anyone ever did, we imbibe more chemicals than in the past. We live more hectic, stressful lives. We live lives that are not who we are. We are not in touch with who we are or connected to the world and community around us.

    Whatever the reason, all we can do is our very best: in terms of taking care of our bodies and our souls. The rest is really out of our hands, no matter how we wish to control it and no matter how angry it makes us feel, no matter how unjustified it is.

    I'm sorry you're sad, though. Like me, if you need to think out loud or vent or rant, the blog is the best place to do it. You know we're reading and you know we care.

     
  • At 2/05/2006 11:15:00 PM, Blogger scrunch said…

    wandering coyote said it so well...we live lives that are not what are we are...We All Make A Difference, though, in the lives we touch; for good or bad. I believe in living your life with humor, common sense, commitments to your own principles regardless of the norm, and an abiding respect for others.

     
  • At 2/06/2006 07:56:00 AM, Blogger lime said…

    i am sorry to hear about your friends. what a horrible shock. it certainly does give one pause. as for your life choices, yousa yyou are content so then youare in a good place. lots of people can't say the same. you're blessed

     
  • At 2/07/2006 12:24:00 AM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    WC that was so thoughtful, thank you. I agree with all of it, and thanks you the invite to keep blogging about it. ANd thanks for caring ((((hugs)))).

    Scrunch thank you too!I agree with your belief--maybe the point is how we touch others.

    ANd thank you too Lime. You're right it was a horrible shock--these are two great women and perhaps everything is under control now. In whatever year the Challenger blew up, my bro found out that he needed heart surgery immediately AND that his wife had invasive stage cancer at the same time. They're both fine, this was 20 years ago, but was the same kind of shock.

    Yes you're right, it's a blessing to be contented. Sure feels that way and have not felt that way for a good portion of my life.

    HOw about you?


    (((((hugs to all from your pal)))))
    Bridg

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home