Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Sour Suite

This is a sweet song world, hope you like it too. The Guess Who recorded it, Burton Cummings wrote it (courtesy of http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Sour-Suite-lyrics-The-Guess-Who/54D03D61C0CD3ABF48256CE9002E512E). Yep as usual, it's an oldie:

". . . Whatever happened to images cause now they’re gone
And worn-out phrases just keep a hangin’ on
Whatever happened to homes as opposed to houses?
And conversation sings as the evening drowses?
It’s just like 46201....It's just like 46201.
Whatever happened to early morning open skies
And broken faces, half with melting eyes
Enough of riddles that just play with time
Cause I’m still here and I can’t beg a dime
I’m back here in 46201......I’m back here in 46201.. . ."

Hola world HAPPY FREAKIN' FRIDAY YAHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO!!

Today was a flipping freaking GOOD DAY in a major way! The kids (as in offspring, not disparaging) that I manage are the best, the brightest and most open creatures I've ever been around!

One of them, A, comes in this a.m. bright and chipper as usual. She's 5'6", has long bouncy curly hair and one of those faces that lights up with smiles and on top of that she's smart and quick. So A says that I'm M's right hand and she wants to be mine. GREAT I say! Then I assign her a cool task that she can get her teeth into, and BOOM she's into it with ideas and stuff to do. "Don't worry, I gotcha covered" she says, and damn if she doesn't do just that. WOW. She's also hiding from her soon to be ex boss, who is driving her crazy with myriads of demands in a panicky way because soon to be ex boss is leaving soon and briefing M and me today (A gets to put the material together). Then P walks in with questions about a task. A doesn't leave, they're all buds and they start to yack after we take care of biz. Marc walks in next (a) to say hi and (b) to ask about a task. They are ALL yacking at this point, me included, but not for too long.

Man these guys are tops. T-bird comes in with questions and we settle into it, this will be long. She's done sterling work. So has Marc. The two of them are just wonderful, and the others will be too. There is one more I haven't talked to yet. She's painfully shy. We'll get to her later in this story.

Just before the briefing, M and I are racing to choke down lunch. A runs by with her arm full of binders, sticks her head into M's office and sort of shouts "I hate her! I hate her! I hate her!" into the door of M's office (referring, I hope, to her soon to be ex boss whose office is almost across from M's).

The briefing goes well except for Evil Witch, who tries to take over a project M has been working on with NBG. No sale, we all ignore her. She leaves early. Then the Ice Queen, left on her own, turns into a nice, warm and open human being!!! This has happened once or twice before, but it was very very obvious in this meeting. NBG is astonished. M noticed it too. I"d seen it before but guess the guys hadn't. Part of the briefing is that the painfully shy person, V, needs to be staffed and promoted quickly. She's been offered a job at a lower level somewhere else but it is in a job category that she wants. We could do that, and at a higher level and had planned to anyway. So I thought M should meet with her. NBG says no, YOU go Bridg, and go alone. Two folks at once is intimidating. He also joked that if he saw her with tears running down her cheeks that he'd know who to blame ( ha ha ha!).

I went to V's office. Introduced myself again, explained what my priorities are (staffing, because my first job kept me on temporarily for four years and I vowed never to put anyone through that again). Her eyes actually filled with tears. I said that she is first on my priority list, and that means Monday morning I'm on the job. A is second. And then we talked about work a bit. But she was warm, open, very friendly and welcoming. Did my best to be the same. Think it went really well. Then thanked her, left and got her position description and sent it to HR (this was at 4:00 on a Friday). Told M, then called NBG to tell him how it went. He said 'that's how you make everyone feel, Bridg' in a very warm voice. I told him he'd made my week. And it was the frickin' truth!

M was happy that we got stuff done, I'd had the troops put material together for him that he had exactly in time to give to NBG. Done very well, bless their hearts. I'm telling you, I love them all, dammit. Every beautiful one of them.

Can't remember much else of the day, except that both M and I felt a HELL of a lot better today than the rest of the week, and that today made up for the rest of the week. Oh yah, he wore in a new sweater that I told him he can't wear anymore. Too good looking. I asked him to consider wearing a garbage bag someday, but he'd probably look yummy in that too. Awww at this point it's just a joke.

Lou and I went to dinner (at 6:30) and left at 10:40. To my great surprise, only had one margurita and 3 waters. Oh yah and food.

How can you top that?

By sleeping waaaaay in!

May your day have been at least this good, and may your tomorrow be even better!

p.s. they're forecasting 15 cm of snow. HA it feels like 5 degrees above zero out there now....

Hugs, Bridg

12 Comments:

  • At 1/21/2006 07:37:00 AM, Blogger saby said…

    Whatever happened to the good old days?


    Tanks for dropping by to see me Bridget Jones

     
  • At 1/21/2006 07:59:00 AM, Blogger saby said…

    a hundred years ago
    the year 1905

    Here are some of the U.S. statistics for the Year 1905:

    The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

    Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California.

    With a mere 1.4 million people, California was only the 21st most populous state in the Union.

    The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!


    More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at home.

    Sugar cost four cents a pound.

    Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

    Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

    Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.


    i swear dis is true
    i dint make it up




    The American flag had 45 stars.

    Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

    The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!!!

    Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea hadn't been invented yet.



    Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores.
    Back then pharmacist said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."

    Eighteen percent of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.

    There were about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.

     
  • At 1/21/2006 08:32:00 AM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Is Ice Queen sincere, or is this just an act?

    Saby, see how overpopulation has screwed us up?

     
  • At 1/21/2006 08:47:00 AM, Blogger greatwhitebear said…

    Brig - I was a big fan of the Guess Who. My favorites: "Laughin", "Money Bag", "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature", "Clap For The Wolfman"

    Saby - I can't imagine living in a world without Iced Tea!

     
  • At 1/21/2006 09:28:00 AM, Blogger kimmyk said…

    Sounds like a fantastic Friday to me Bridg!

    I'd love to have a margarita...man it's been so long! Good dinner, good conversation..and a margarita? sounds very lovely!

    Have a great weekend!

     
  • At 1/21/2006 09:47:00 AM, Blogger Casually Me said…

    Glad to see life is treating you well, or is it the other way around?

     
  • At 1/21/2006 10:44:00 AM, Blogger karma said…

    You should work for every company.

     
  • At 1/21/2006 11:29:00 AM, Blogger honestyrain said…

    i love me some burton! are you from his home town?

     
  • At 1/21/2006 11:48:00 AM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    GWB, it's No Sugar Tonight and American Woman for me!

     
  • At 1/21/2006 12:53:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Saby, always a pleasure to visit. Thank YOU for visiting me! Loved the stats and tshsmom is right, see what time & too many people in a little place will do...

    Tshsmom, she (Ice Queen) was sincere. It was easy to tell. When EW is nice it makes my skin crawl....

    GWB--so glad I picked a fave! Sour Suite was running through my brain all way. The one thing they did that I hated was American Woman (since I was a new U.S. immigrant to Canada when that came out--sorry Tshsmom!). Like Scared and I Will Play A Melody the best...

    Kimmyk wish you could have been there! We had no idea what time it was until we both had to run to the washroom (all that water will do that to you), and it was 10:40! Lovely day and evening..hope there'll be more for all of us!

    CM, I'm not sure which way it is but I'll take it (esp after the wicked week it's been)!! Hope that you're in the same boat?

    Karma, you are a darling! Thank you ((((hugs))))!!!

    Honestyrain, I don't know what his hometown is. I was born in PHiladelphia but have lived in Ottawa Canada for 34 years (longest stretch in any one place). I'm betting his hometown is Saskatoon (Running Back to Saskatoon)?

     
  • At 1/21/2006 04:05:00 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said…

    15 cm of snow? Is that about 10 inches? That's a lot of snow.

     
  • At 1/22/2006 12:04:00 AM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    ZS, yes it is and it's still in my flippin' driveway sigh.

    If you don't see a post from me in the near future, I've had a heart attack shoveling it myself...sue Tony's on my behalf, OK?

    heh heh heh

    Saby, what Tshsmom was talking about is that the changes from year 1905 (for the worst) are a result of squeezing more people into the same small land mass (the USA)--Manhattan being a good example. It has nothing to do with Indians of North America or of India--just too many folks, no matter what race, packed in like sardines will cause problems like murder, robbery, etc.

    Bridg

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home