Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Precious and Few

Hi world, hope you're doing fine?

Today was allegedly warm but felt cold. Went to Canadian Tire, got Mom several sets of screwdrivers (she lost hers) with multiheads (I mean like the $79 variety), a bunch of see-through plastic storage bins, 4 60 watt energy saving light bulbs guaranteed to last 5 years each, and I can't remember what else.

Then got to her house and finally got that @#$% globe off of her lawn light, changed the bulb and also changed the one next to her door (it was so dim that she couldn't see to open the door yesterday). Then took down most of the Christmas ornaments except the flippin' tree (Bro can do that) but did bring the box upstairs. Took her 60 piece punchbowl downstairs (heavy!). Took off most of the outdoor lights but stopped when I broke the second bulb. Guess you're supposed to take those off first, right? Oh well. Sis can finish that.

Then ordered dinner in, so I know Mom ate dinner. Fed her cat--TWICE--we all had noticed at Christmas that he was/is very skinny. Mom didn't believe me until the others said it too. Sigh. Filled the humidifier again (it emptied itself overnight, so she hadn't filled it in quite some time), took her trash and recycling out (again). Then went home to peace and quiet.

But explained first that I work very hard during the week, that I need rest, and that everyone gets weekends off except me and that this has to change. She agreed. Also explained that I really hate packing up Christmas ornaments and that this was the second year in a row that I had to do it.

I'm not p*ssed anymore, but AM going south next year. There are times that I feel like the family pack mule--they all assume that I have time to do all of this stuff because I'm single. Actually being single gives me less time but none of them listen. So my bills wait for attention (not all of them can be done by computer/auto deductions), my laundry languishes, don't even TALK to me about housework let alone other stuff like socializing. The only way to get through to these folks is just not to be here, so next year I won't.

Looked up in my handwritten journal from last year, and I"d written the same damn stuff. OK next year, it's on.

But for now the essentials are done. Mom can actually SEE her front door, everyone else can see it too, and most of the clutter is gone. For now. I'm sure in a week it'll be bedlam again.

Oh yes, forgot. Tomorrow have to call and make sure that Bell takes care of her phone.

NBL is supposed to show up to work tomorrow. This should be interesting. She doesn't want to be director (and won't be) and is only going to work a few hours. I have difficulty seeing her come in at all.

Am making a presentation on the big done-by-Christmas project to all the bosses in the org. Scared to death about it. But hell, how much scarier can it be than the weekend, lol?

The Most Spoiled Cat In The Universe is glad that I'm home, and I am too. Love my Mom/family, but desperately need rest.

Night world, get some sleep!!

Bridg

7 Comments:

  • At 1/08/2006 07:42:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    I find it interesting that your family assumes you aren't so busy because you're single and don't have a family. It shouldn't matter. Family's family and you shouldn't be bearing all the burden - regardless.

    Go south next year, baby! You deserve it!

     
  • At 1/08/2006 08:47:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    Sounds like others should become adults and more responsible.

    It is an EXTREMELY hard decision, but if your mom is making unfortunate life choices (like missing meals), then has the family talked about assisted living?

    Maybe that is too personal...

     
  • At 1/08/2006 10:08:00 PM, Blogger .: raven :. said…

    hey girl ... sorry to hear you're spread so thin .. i know it's hard. i used to be the only one to take care of my mom too .... i worked full time, had all the drama with my son ... AND made sure she was eating and taking care of herself .... i was over at her house every day .... so i know exactly how you feel.

    i know it's stressful for you .... and you have a lot on your plate ... but after i lost my mom 4 years ago this month ... i missed her.

    hang in there girl .... (( hugs ))

     
  • At 1/09/2006 12:57:00 PM, Blogger bsoholic said…

    Good luck on the presentation!

    Sorry that everyone dumps on you though.

     
  • At 1/09/2006 03:07:00 PM, Blogger Lala said…

    Wow, that's a heavy load to bear. You're a trooper.

     
  • At 1/09/2006 05:44:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Being single means that you have to do EVERYTHING, by yourself, at your house! I've always said that I'd NEVER want to raise a kid or own a house by myself.
    I have nothing but admiration for those single parents out there who successfully handle this dilemma!

     
  • At 1/09/2006 07:45:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    WC, totally agree. Am definitely booking somewhere warm next year...oh even the thought's lovely!

    DMJ you are right. The stats show that people don't live long after entering one of those places so we're trying to not do it but it gets harder (for me anyway) every day. Totally agree that the siblings should shape up. No, not too personal!

    Raven, I'm sorry you lost your mom. I don't think that I"m far from that either and it breaks my heart (for both of us). I'm hanging in mostly because of that thought..

    Bsoholic, thanks for the good luck and sympathy (((hugs)))!

    Lala, welcome and thank you very very much!!!

    Tshsmom, totally infinitely agree. Cannot imagine how anyone could cope with children by themselves and work and do the other stuff. They've gotta be superhuman...

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home