Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Friday, January 13, 2006

On The Radio

Happy Friday the 13th, world!! Hope your luck was strong and good!

Got to work EARLY today (and got 'slammed' right into work. It's kind of like a roller coaster there). Gave more work--two more jobs--to T-bird (the female of the 'kids' I manage) and she grinned ear to ear! I can't believe that woman, she's just like me. Wow. And it was a job I hated. You just never know. Marc did his usual sterling work. These kids are so good and eager it's humbling. I was NEVER like they are.

And we got MORE work to do but it's OK.

Did I mention that two others want to join our group? They work for Evil Witch and her apprentice, Ice Queen. IQ is going away for a year, and her staff (the ones who want to join us) and mandate are being transferred to me as of Monday. Good thing too because the calmer of the two said that she was going to leave (and the other one too) if I and M had not started working here. You would not believe what these two have been through. They can't be seen talking to each other/socializing with anyone or they get hauled over the coals. They aren't told what they're supposed to do, then catch hell for not doing it. And worse.

So they've been dropping into my place (when they think that the coast is clear) to let off steam and just get comforted (did mention the mothering stuff I do, right? Kids I didn't give birth to?). Anyway, the reign of Ice Queen is over as of Monday and I"m soooo relieved for them. M and I were just planning the introduction this a.m. and found out about the transfer last thing today.

The big meeting (1 of 2) was at 3:00. It went great, thank heavens. I and a colleague are going to lead the technical part of the work, the other group is going to provide input which we two will or will not use. But it's up to us. That's a huge relief. And the mouthy idiot isn't going to the meetings anymore (as I predicted, this wasn't news to her boss). Went back and debriefed NBG, who was quite happy with what we did.

Then I got to take M for his birthday dinner. Lou couldn't make it, so it was the two of us off to Hy's. He loved it. Loved the ambience--it's an incredibly comfortable (and luxurious, but not intimidatingly so) place. They gave us a fantastic and quiet table.

I chose the wine (M made me do it). Picked a really good one (didn't know it at the time--it's bottled for Hy's. Sonoma somethingorother.). Best wine I've EVER had. We both ordered exactly the same thing, spinach salad with steak oscar (med rare) and basmati rice.

HOLY COW everything was perfect. Not overspiced, wonderful taste--the rice was so delicate and fragrant, and the spinach salad was warm and made tableside (they put cognac in the sauce? Plus beurre blanc, onions, mushrooms, a hint of garlic and either basil or thyme--magic). I don't even remember what we talked about, a mix of memories of childhood, past work lives and a little current work, but it was fabulous. M liked it so much he clinked glasses almost every time he picked up his wineglass. And they brought him a candle in a slice of incredibly rich chocolate cake with vanilla and chocolate sauce drizzled over it. Wow. He set a date to go back on my birthday. Said that if he wouldn't let me give him a present, wanted to be sure he got a damn good dinner (lol). He'd heard good and bad things (it's expensive) about the place but loved it. Felt it was all good and I sure did too.

Advised he'd better take his wife here.

He sent me a 'thank you' note from home tonight. That's to let me know that he made it home OK. I always worry when we've been drinking (no matter over what period of time, they live in the country and it can be tricky out there).

So work is done for the week. My house looks like a hurricane hit it, but the cat's fed and the roof's still up there so it's all good. Am sleeping in tomorrow, thank heavens. Bro didn't take the damn tree down. Said that Sis should do it because he doesn't know how it went together (rolling eyes). Can I call it or what? Hope poor Sis is OK. Turkey Bro.

We got a HECK of a lot of work done this week, including today. We are all learning at the same time (well, our group anyway, NBG knows everything and everyone!).

Turns out that HIS boss DOES remember me from my previous life. OH OH big time. He stuck me with a monster job that turned out OK (he came in for the end part) but only because I stayed up all night including 2 hours on the phone to the other coast to get the info I didn't have (and he did). MAN. In addition, I was burned out (95 hour weeks for 4 years will do that to you), and had a boss who didn't like me at all. Found out when I left that her bosses had chastized her severely for the way she acted with me, and told her to offer me the job permanently. I said 'no thanks' and went to work somewhere else. It didn't leave the best taste in my mouth. Did have fans there but who knows what this man has in his head as impressions of me.

Will just keep doing my thing. Do have a (good) name in the field, so...should be OK.

Can barely stay awake now but it's just the wine...anyway, have a great weekend, world. Will blog-hop over the weekend....night!!!

Bridg

6 Comments:

  • At 1/13/2006 11:31:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Happy to hear your glowing review of Hy's. Shame I never got to try the place before I left O-town, because I love a good steak.

    Glad you had a good day.

     
  • At 1/14/2006 11:31:00 AM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Hi WC, yep that place feels so much like home, and the food is definitely first rate.

    I'm not a veggie person at all, but that spinach salad is definitely a must.

    Hey if you visit O town let me know. We can go to Hy's!!!

    Bridg

     
  • At 1/14/2006 09:55:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    I must commend you on keeping my interest in your job WITHOUT ever, I mean ever, giving hints to what it is. That is definitely a skill. Love it :)

    Glad the dinner went well and the two of you were able to relax and enjoy.

     
  • At 1/14/2006 10:36:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thank you DMJ! I've nearly slipped a couple of time but *whew* usually catch it just in time..glad you're still interested...it really it a nutso thing I do...(quel surprise, huh?)

    Bridg

     
  • At 1/15/2006 09:28:00 AM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    You know, it's funny; I'm not the least bit curious about the EXACT nature of your work. I know it's a dog-eat-dog profession and anonimity is crucial.
    We're here to help you release the tension and share our lives in the bargain. You're here sharing your REAL self, not your WORK self, and that's what's important. Love ya!

     
  • At 1/15/2006 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thanks tshsmom! I love you too!!

    Bridg

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home