Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Life In A Northern Town

The Dream Academy
courtesy of: http://theacf.com/dreamac/lyrics/life_in_a_northern_town.html
Life in a Northern Town
A Salvation Army band played
And the children drank lemonade
And the morning lasted all day,
All day
And through an open window came
Like Sinatra in a younger day,
Pushing the town away
Ah -(Chant) Ah hey ma ma ma
Life in a northern town.
They sat on the stoney ground
And he took a cigarette out
And everyone else came down
To listen.
He said "In winter 1963
It felt like the world would freeze
With John F. Kennedy
And the Beatles."
(Chant)Ah hey ma ma ma
Life in a northern town.
Ah hey ma ma ma
All the work shut down.
The evening had turned to rain
Watch the water roll down the drain,
As we followed him down
To the station
And though he never would wave goodbye,
You could see it written in his eyes
As the train rolled out of sight
Bye-bye.
(Chant)Ah hey ma ma ma
Life in a northern town.
Ah hey ma ma ma (make it easy on yourself)
Life in a northern town.

How are you tonight world? It didn't snow here today (big news!)!! Here is more big news--yesterday was M's birthday AND I FORGOT. What an idiot!!! Just called him at home the minute I realized it to apologize. OH MAN (booting own butt). OK tomorrow for dinner but also have to find something appropriate as prezzie...

We had a disaster of a 3 hour meeting at the end of today. M said he's never been that frustrated/angry, I got so mad I didn't remember what I said (M said that it was obvious that I was angry but I was very polite) and Marc just laughed afterwards and said 'awesome, I've never seen you mad before'. GRRRRRRR!

First, there was no chair for the meeting. There were 3 people there in charge of that function, none of them did any chairing. One very inexperienced but pontifical person decided to teach all of us how to do our jobs (and it was clear that she is a novice), spending/wasting 20 minutes per point, and usually repeating points raised by others earlier and dwelling on them at length.

Later in the meeting, she decided to teach one of the world's leaders in his field how to do the basic elements of his job. It was so embarrassing and unprofessional that M and I called him afterwards to apologize for her behaviour. The chair should have stopped the pontificating, and certainly should have stopped her boorish behaviour, but didn't. One of the co-chairs decided that I would raise issues that he identified. Since I hadn't seen them prior to the meeting, I declined. Boy was I glad I did. His comments were unsubstantiated and frankly just wrong. I was so annoyed (read: burned up) by then that I corrected him right at the meeting.

Up to that point, Marc and I had been working on a task that we were asked to do by the group. We did a draft, asked for comments, got some by e mail, the rest at a subsequent meeting. At THIS meeting, the co-chair asked me to justify what we'd done! I responded by asking exactly what he was fishing for, and he came out with a laundry list, another one, of things he wanted changed. Some valid, some not.

So why ambush me/us with this at a meeting and waste 3 hours? I'm certainly not afraid of criticism, being among the stronger people in the field. I do object to the ethics, morals and tactics tho. This person is of an ethnic group that does not usually highly value females. Am not sure what, if any, role this played in his behaviour. Did explain to him why I felt ambushed at the meeting, and that I know he's a good person despite it. Am also quite sure that he didn't understand a word of it.

One of the other co-chairs felt that we (I) had not invested enough time in this projects, saying that it took them 6 to 9 months to complete a similar exercise using a consultant. In my business, we call that 'incompetent' and 'milking the client'. I can do one of those (sometimes more) a DAY. At pretty high standards.

So yah, I was pretty ticked. So were we all. M, S (a colleague working with me on this project), M and another lady (colleague of Mouthy Bitch) were ALL rolling our eyes at each other, exchanging agonized looks, and yet the chair did nothing to shut her up/gain some control.

For.Three.Hours.

M is going to write a 'rules of engagement' notice back, covering the redraft of the project (it's just a diagram really), stating how he expects meetings and work to be conducted in the future. Great idea. He will also talking to the manager of Mouthy Bitch about her embarrassing and inappropriate behaviour. When the manager discovers WHO (the world famous guy) she tried to teach, he will be very upset. You don't lecture the Pope how to say the 'Our Father'. Usually.

On the domestic front, my Mom is now claiming that it was MY idea to take down the damn Christmas decorations, not hers. I quoted her back to herself...she sort of accepted that she did start insisting. Am quite worried that this is a mental short circuit. Or very creative shit-stirring, not sure which. Her phone is now restored, guess Rogers did its homework and found her payment. She is still switching to Bell in a few weeks. Thank. The. Lord. I don't have another of those weekends in me.

And the meeting with the collective Big Shots is tomorrow. NBG is going to do the presenting, THANK YOU GOD, because HIS boss, the Pres, can be quite disconcerting if you're not used to his style. Well, that's just what I need after a day like today, lemme tell you. On the plus side, the slides are perfect, the stuff we worked on is solid, and M's job description is done like dinner. No sign of NBL today either (I say not till Feb).

Feel very beaten up. M stuck up for me, once he got over his anger. UPS tried to deliver something to me, naturally I was at work being beaten up, so couldn't get it. They will try a total of 3 times. It's an order of shoes for big ole feet.

Way my luck's been going, I'll be......







Night world! Avoid meetings with morons, if you possibly can....Bridg

7 Comments:

  • At 1/10/2006 10:27:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Love that song, Bridg.

    Don't you love being stuck in crappy meetings with people who don't know how to behave in one? I'm sorry you feel beaten up. How about a nice bath? That always help me, even if the "beaten up" part is more mental than physical.

    I hope tomorrow is less frustrating for you. And I hope it doesn't snow again.

     
  • At 1/10/2006 10:54:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thanks WC, you are a true pal!! Oh yes Ilove giving the underintellectually endowed a soap box whereupon they can enlighten me as tohow to brush my teeth (is it up then down or the other way?), how to tie my shoes...which crayone to write the reports with...

    And the longer the meeting the better.

    Me too girlfriend about frustration. And I hope that YOUR day --your adventure--turns out like you want/need in every way!!

    (((hugs))) Bridg

     
  • At 1/11/2006 08:30:00 AM, Blogger .: raven :. said…

    hehe ... taser .. taser

    the next time you are frustrated with someone at work ... just think "taser" and that will relax you and make you smile

    hehe

     
  • At 1/11/2006 05:23:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    These are "professionals"??!
    Unarmed people shouldn't have a battle of wits!

     
  • At 1/11/2006 06:36:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Raven, what an excellent idea! A different kind of productive from actually using one, but damn close!!

    Will definitely think 'taser' and next think of you, and THAT will make me grin!

    Tshsmom, you hit the nail on the head--damn unprofessional!!! It was like being in a cranky, armed-with-knives kindergarden class.

     
  • At 1/11/2006 11:59:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    Everyone who endures a shitty meeting should get a hug.

    ((hug))

     
  • At 1/12/2006 07:49:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    DMJ, that is exactly what I needed!!! ((hug)) back!!

    Bridg

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home