Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Narnia--Caution this is a spoiler and a rant

OK it isn't a song title world...just got back from seeing the movie "Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe". My impression varies significantly from the other ones I've read. Don't read this post if you don't want to know what happens in the movie.

Had not read any of the Narnia series and my strong negative reaction is to the writing itself, not the movie. The special effects of the movie are very well done, really good. And the damn thing sucks you right in mentally/emotionally.

But that friggin' older sister!!! I wanted to strangle her 10 minutes into the movie and the urge just got stronger as time went on and it's a LONG movie!! And the traitorous little brother? OH MAN. Hanging would have been too good for them. Unforgiving? You bet.

Guess you can see that I really got into the movie to take the characters so much to heart. Honest my pulse is still umm not normal.

When Asland is killed (and resurrects), it really brought home what the Crucifixion must have been like. Have not seen The Passion of the Christ because I didn't think that I could stand it. Having seen Narnia and the strong gut reaction to that scene tells me I was darn right.

The Narnia series was written a long time ago. When women weren't depicted as heroic/active in popular culture. True to form, the main task of the female 'heroines' was either being a pain in the butt or simpering/screaming in the background. It.drove.me.nuts. Very frustrating to watch.

The idea that ANYONE could stand by during the execution of a good/herioc being goes so much against the grain that it hurt, I mean really hurt, to watch it.

It might sound stupid, but the job I have, and have had for years, involves 'righting wrong'. No I"m not a cop or judge, but it's similar. Guess it's really gotten into my blood because man that movie was hard to watch. Things turn out OK in the end, but just the idea that they could go that way even for a bit (I know I know it's probably more typical than not) is very painful.

Just a word of warning: if you're altruistic, or even mildly idealistic, you might react as I did.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

p.s. Liam Neeson, besides having one interesting face, is a wonderful voice. He's in the movie as Asland. Nicely done.

I'd take Harry Potter any day. OK it's modern, but at least Hermione isn't an idiot, and the turncoats are obvious turncoats. Family turning against family...and others....ugly. Just plain ugly.

Bridg (sorry she saw it)

4 Comments:

  • At 12/18/2005 12:48:00 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    I must say I'm intrigued. I've heard both good and bad reviews. I read on in the paper that warned about there being an obvious Christian theme that was thumped over the viewer's heads. That wouldn't necessarily put me off. Liam is a good incentive to go see it!

    You cannot beat LOTR!

     
  • At 12/18/2005 08:57:00 AM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    I haven't seen the movie, but in the book Aslan makes the girls promise to leave him at the Stone Table when he tells them to. He knows his destiny, just as Christ knew his. Yes, Lewis was blatantly Christian in his Narnia series.

     
  • At 12/18/2005 10:09:00 AM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    WC and Tshsmom, I grew up Catholic, so the theme (not the Narnia) story is familiar. The film does such a good job of drawing the viewer in that you get an uncomfortably up close and personal feel for how the crucifixion must have been/felt. That's what I was reacting to..even though it was destiny/necessary everything in my being would have made me fight against it anyway (had I been there).

    Yes it's one thing to say what you'd do and another to do it, but it is such a strong gut reaction...

    GUess the impact's comparable to Bambi's mother being killed, only this time I'm a heck of a lot older so the emotions are all the stronger.

    Mom made Bro her 'power of attorney' because I told her that no matter what, I could not 'pull the plug', even if she wanted to, said so ahead of time, etc. Would always fight for life, what I perceive as the good guys, the heck with destiny or pre-arrangements.

    Maybe it's the powerful 5 year old inside me....Bridg

     
  • At 12/19/2005 11:58:00 AM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said…

    The idea that ANYONE could stand by during the execution of a good/herioc being goes so much against the grain that it hurt, I mean really hurt, to watch it.

    There was an episode of Kung Fu where Cain had to hide and watch his friend get killed. To intervene would have been suicide. All he could have done was get justice later.

    That's kind of how the girls were. It would have been suicide to try to rescue Aslan at that moment in time. A horrible thing to witness, but their deaths would have been pointless. All the White Witch's friends were there. They were but two people, powerful, but still just two.

    Too bad you didn't like it. I loved it, but then again, I loved the books.

    The girl characters were more heroic in the books. In a few of the books, girls actually had lead roles, which they rarely did back in those days. There were seven in all, and I forget which one is which sometime.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home