Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Little Love

Hey world, happy almost-end-of-before-Christmas week!

The numbness is gone from the finger. Now it just hurts to type ouch.

Hope your day/night was good? We had a surprise snowfall today. Turned traffic into parking, so M, Pauly and I went out for dinner/drinks. It was great. I miss Pauly, being able to talk to him every day. He is just the greatest person and friend. Don't miss TLT (pond scum exboss of M) but miss the rest of the gang. The place where I am now, thanks to Pauly, is so much better tho. Funny feeling--kind of caught between the two worlds.

M is doing great. The guys in the shop are now dropping into his office to chat. I was half afraid that the strength of our relationship (M and me) and the fact that I'm always there or he's always in my office would scare folks off. Nope. Thank heavens! I make an effort to drop into everyone's office at least once a day and eat with them at least a few times a week. And they drop into my place too.

The big project is drawing to a close. We get the last of the changes tomorrow, and I write up the finishing piece tomorrow too. Of course NBG's boss will change it, but the critical first leg of the relay race will have been completed. It's a really significant thing (damn I want to tell you what it is). Involves coordinating 5900 people and databases that are all at different stages of existence (some are just manual). Should have been done a long time ago, but needed the people power to pull it together plus the management will do to it. All are there now. It's a honour to be involved in this thing.

Am worried about M, he is looking damn tired and pale. This org where we work is a challenging place to adapt to (dragged my butt a lot too in the first month). The field of work is different, it is very operational and fast-paced. He spent the last three months off on leave at home (avoiding his idiot exboss), so this is a huge change of pace and intensity. Not that he can't do it, of course he can. It just bugs me to see him so tired. And we are surrounded by young, bright (really bright) 20 somethings who are so eager to help and learn. It's gratifying and energizing but it takes a bit out of us old geezers to keep up with them. Bless their hearts. Love each of them!

And of course there's NBG. He's the same age as M, and a fireball in a suit if ever there was one. That man's magnificent mind never stops, and he's so damn sweet. Honest this is the best grouping of personalities and talents I've ever seen. So happy to be here.

OK OK enough waxing eloquent about work. It's 9:41 and I just got in from the dinner. Will go visit a bit (blogs) and then off to bed. I'm zonked too.

Night world. Hope you're safe and warm tonight...Bridg

5 Comments:

  • At 12/21/2005 10:50:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    Just stopping by....did I hear databases mentioned? Have a great holiday my dear.

     
  • At 12/21/2005 11:43:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    You too, sweetie!! No more work talk for a week (HA!). Yes databases in the exact same shape as the sails on the Black Pearl (Pirates of the Caribbean).

    Heeeeyyyyyyy.......

     
  • At 12/22/2005 02:03:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    More snow?

    Now I wish we had snow here! It's been raining constantly and is totally yucky! My winterwonderland is melting!

    At least you got drinks out of it!

     
  • At 12/22/2005 05:01:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Sounds like you might make your Christmas deadline. Go team!
    Databases are so over my head!

     
  • At 12/22/2005 08:30:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    WC, you will never guess what it's doing right now!

    Yeppir, downright predictable. Sigh.

    Tshsmom, thanks so much for the cheering on! Actually finished it today but need to 'touch up' a few spots tomorrow. Very excited!!!

    MWAH!!

    Bridg

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home