Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Monday, December 19, 2005

It's Just One Of Those Songs

It's just one of those songs
That you hear now and then
You don't know just where or not even when
Some part of your lifetime will always belong
To one of those wonderful songs.

Hey world how are you tonight? It's cold out there (duh it's December in OTTAWA, Bridg!) but not snowing yet. Was sunny, then cloudy today. By the time I left work at 6:30 there were two cars in the parking lot: mine and Lou's. Funny.

Today was again a whirlwind of activity. Folks running in and out with questions, concerns, etc. I'm glad that they come to see me, I like people and helping them. Did find out something sad tho.

Remember when I crashed into the car driven by the hospital's priest a year ago? It was when I started blogging. My mom was in the hospital (had a heart attack on Christmas day), then caught pneumonia on top of the heart thing, and stayed in the hospital for at least 5 weeks. On the day that she was to go home the doctor called a family meeting at the hospital, and I went rushing into the place, slipped (OK the car slid) on the ice and right into the car of an ancient priest coming the other way who froze when he saw me slide. If he'd kept moving I would have missed him...all the guy could talk about was the damage to his NEW car until I pointed out that mine was new too. He drove off to report to the OPP. I couldn't move because my car was the one badly damaged and for a few hours because I wasn't at the OPP station, I was a hit-and-runner. Had to wait three hours for the police to show up (they went to the wrong entrance of the hospital, believing that there was only one). I had a bad flu at the time and only my cell phone for company. It was a cold cold day. My insurance agents (husband and wife team) arranged for the rental car for me, had it delivered to where I was, and were on their way to me with coffee and hamburgers when the police finally arrived.

Now THAT is good service, caring and humanity. I wrote them a very grateful letter and got the nicest reply.

Anyhow, the sad news is that the guy part of the couple died. I think he was a little younger than I am (53) and in very good shape. He was playing hockey and fell down dead on the ice. The defibrillators didn't work, he was gone. His heart was enlarged and no one knew it. This happened on November 24, just found out on Saturday. So called his widow Diane (a LOVELY person) and we chatted for a long time. She is such a darling that I"m going to keep a special eye on this one.

Also the 14 year old son of someone I work with (but don't know) was run over while standing on his family's driveway on the weekend.

That's two...they come in threes. Everyone, ESPECIALLY YOU MOM!!!, be careful out there, OK??? I'm very superstitious about stuff like this.

Had a wonderful talk with M about marriage and demons, not that they're related. He was wondering about people who stay in abusive/bad marriages, and if the glue that holds them together includes fear of being alone. Mentioned that I had always been afraid of being alone, and that's why I got married (said no to some other proposals before picking the one I did). Was very alone while married, and have been very happy on my own since (especially since I quit dating. Ran into a lot of umm guys with problems. Like stalking, locking me in closets, that kind of stuff). So guess that demon's been slayed. He knew of people who stay when any reasonable person would not. He feels that there is so much compromise in marriage that basically I have a great deal. I replied that I might not feel that way when I'm 70 or 80 but do agree now.

Changing the subject completely, know what they say about shopping when you're hungry? I proved it tonight on the way home. Yes, rum balls for dinner again. My liver is going to be so pissed at me.....

And that brings up another topic. A really silly one. Remember Evil Witch? Well, she is even competitive when peeing. I.kid.you.not.

I went into the washroom this a.m. Noticed her pointy and unique shoes in one of the stalls, and selected one as far away as possible. Note that she couldn't know that it was me, I didn't walk by her stall. Sat down, began doing what you do in there. She ummm outpeed me. In speed, noise and length of time. Stopping the flow no less than 3 times (OK she was doing Kegels), starting up a loud fast torrent after each stop. Tried VERY hard not to laugh. Got outa there fast, but not before she caught up with me.

I'm really glad we only had to deal with #1.

Later in the day two of her staff came in for comfort and chat. I had to get one out of there fast because EW spotted the poor girl in my office (and so she had to leave pronto). Sure enough, EW was in the poor lamb's office not 1 minute later, giving orders.

Sigh.

M was his usual great self today. NBG is skiing in Maine and called Lou no less than 4 times. I bet his wife was ready to toss the old Blackberry far far away. I miss NBG, but at least Dena's acting. She's great.

OK getting sleepy....will visit later....love y'all!!!

Bridg

6 Comments:

  • At 12/20/2005 01:38:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    OMG - you are way too funny! That competitive peeing thing is hilarious!

    Agree totally with M re. why people stay in marriages/relationships. Fear is a strong motivating factor. I did that too. Many woman do it, and I suspect many men do it, too. I see it all the time, and I know it's NOT GOOD.

     
  • At 12/20/2005 05:59:00 PM, Blogger Peter said…

    Hi Bridget, I was just doing a bit of surfing and came across your post, I thought it was maybe worth a comment that at 69 1/2 the being happy alone thing works, so I'm guessing that 70 is gonna be OK too.

     
  • At 12/20/2005 06:10:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    WC wasn't that a scream? Honest there is no winning that one....I think M's right too, and guess that sooner or later it catches up with you. Yikes.

    Peter welcome to the funny farm!! Glad to hear that the being on your own is OK at 69.5/70!! That's a big relief!!!

    There are days I think am already at 70.....lol.

    Bridg

     
  • At 12/20/2005 06:44:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    I find that tragedies in my life happen in threes too. :(

     
  • At 12/20/2005 10:15:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Tshsmom, in a way, glad I'm not the only one and very glad you're with me on that one.

    Is even more worrysome holding your breath waiting for that third one....

     
  • At 12/21/2005 04:10:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    That's the WORST part! :(

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home