Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Five (only 5?) Weird Things About Bridg, Taken from DrinkJack

OK this is taking up drinkjack's challenge/offer....where you list 5 weird things about yourself. LIke Jack, I don't want to tag anyone, so if you like it go for it.

Here are the (first) five:

1-I am dyslexic. Reverse digits, letters, word orders. Writing or speaking (usually only when dead tired). Took me ages to figure out the diff between 3 and E, and to distinguish g, p,q. Don't even ask about b and d. The nuns who ran the school that I went to from kindergarten to grade 2 gave me lessons every day at recess to help. Never told the parents either.

2-I have a very active 5 year old inside me, even now. When I was 14, just for the hell of it, used to wet and wring dry a bath towel with cold water, drop it on my sleeping bro's face (they'd wake up yelling, of course). Would grab the towel, throw it in the bathtub and jump into bed, pulling the sheets up to my eyes so that no one could see me laughing. Bros got into trouble for yelling of course. Isn't that awful? Also used to wake them up with John Phillip Souza music early in the a.m. using the ventilation ducts as speakers. Yep, I am a brat.

3-My wonderful, cherished, beloved cousin died when we were both 18. She'd broken up with her boyfriend at a party and apparently he didn't like that. He crashed their car on the way home, driving through a barrier that was effective against 90 mph impacts. Although I was living in Ottawa at the time (she lived in Rahway, New Jersey), I knew she had died the second that she died. He lived, not a scratch on him. He's now married to someone just like Kathleen. He'd better pray that I never find him.

4-I am ambidexterous. Have two backhands in tennis, no forehand. Paint, do almost everything with both hands. Switch hands for certain shots in golf. Get very mixed up between right and left, but that's part of the dyslexia thing.

5-Occasionally I see flashes of light. Very small, barely noticeable. Have seen them since I was a little kid (5 or so). Am convinced that they're angels. Seriously.

OK so I'm weird! At least I"m not violent!!!

Bridg

7 Comments:

  • At 12/17/2005 10:56:00 AM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Our kids learned early about the heat duct thing. NOW, when L and I want to talk privately, we go in our walk-in closet that's duct free!
    I'm semi-ambidextrous too. I write left-handed, but CAN write right-handed if so inclined. EVERYTHING else, I do right-handed. We're not weird; we're just using BOTH sides of our brain!

     
  • At 12/17/2005 03:24:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    tshsmom, Yah we are talented!! That's our story and we're sticking to it! ;))

     
  • At 12/17/2005 03:55:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    I wouldn't say those are weird things. Dyslexia is a tough one and I hate to see you judge it so. But, I would say you are very intuitive, and as tshsmom says, you're using both sides of your brain, instead of the rest of us chumps who can only access one side of it!

     
  • At 12/17/2005 04:07:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    WC didn't mean to judge, would like to think that in general I avoid doing that. But it is different. Actually am kind of proud of it because I (and Sis) have no one vantage point to get stuck to. So it's easier to learn other languages, because there's no reference point to stumble over about where adverbs and adjectives 'normally' go (for us there's no normal).

    What also goes along with it is a lack of sense of direction (e.g. saying to 'go north on Bank street' is Greek to me) and lack of coordination. Those two things tend to make folks think you're a bit off.

    Sis over-compensated for this trait. She's a finance major and a big shot in corporate finance in her org (was comptroller of a company at one time). She gets numbers very precisely--my definition of hell.

    I'm pretty good at languages (and intuition, you're right). Dyslexia plays a big role in that.

    You should have seen the two of us in karate class. Half the time we were smashing/walking into the rest of the class (9 year olds mostly) because of the left-right thing. THAT was embarrassing.

    Took me a very long time to learn to read a watch because could never tell which side of the number the watch hands were on. My math major parents were convinced that I was an idiot for the longest time, seriously. They'd never heard of dyslexia, until I was a teenager.

    Soooo, yah, I hear you about the judgement thing. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

    Bridg

     
  • At 12/17/2005 04:31:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    p.s. WC, just re-read the post...the flashes of light thing was what I was referring to as weird...

     
  • At 12/17/2005 07:15:00 PM, Blogger Vest said…

    tshsmom, I remember that EMMA was a mollydooker L/H like yourself, but was more than alright otherwise.

     
  • At 12/17/2005 08:16:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Bridg: Huh? The whole post is entitled "Five Weird Things About Bridg."

    Do not apologize. I just thought that labelling your dyslexia as one of the 5 weirdest things about you was too hard on YOU!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home