Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Fantasy (Mariah Carey version)

Hola world, how are you tonight??? Sorry didn't get to blog hop, but finally got some ZZZZZZs. Needed it today too!

Another one of those days where so much happened it's tough to summarize...M and I finished off a major, never been done before project and it goes 'public' on Monday. He made the mistake of coming into my office to remind me of something, I got him to help me fix the documents in the process and we both wound up revising, 'debating', and typing together (he knows Excel much better than I do) on the same keyboard, same doc, same time. It took from 3:00 until 6:30 to fix, and that's with BOTH of us working at it. But the product is pretty damn fine if I do say so myself.

It.was.a.riot.

And honestly that romantic angle just isn't there these days, which is great (well except for the odd smart-ass comment). Not one temptation, not one longing thought.

Got into another one of those 'forever' discussions, this one ending at 7:00 which doesn't sound long but was. Have started calling the discussions 'brain gyms' because that's what it feels like. Even though we've spent what must be days' worth of hours talking about this kind of stuff for the past two years, can honestly say it's never been boring, I always learn something from the guy and (he says) vice versa. It's weird but cool. Can't say I've had any other relationship like it. Well, NBG is turning into that, except he's a dynamo and too smart. There is stuff I just would not tell him.

Well not yet.

Marc did one fine job on this project. I am sooooo happy with his work, it is stellar. And his attitude is the best too.

There was one kind of misfit in the group. A great enough person but definitely belonging (personality, experience and talent wise) on the other side of the house. The kind of person who you have to do 2/3 of the job for before she'd even think about undertaking some action? Yep one of those. Unfortunately the side of the house that her talents lend her to is the one that the Evil Witch heads. But today she officially went back there. NBG called while we were fixing the document and asked if there was a reason not to do it today. Perfect timing.

There was a rumor that our beloved (and honest this guy is the BEST) NBG was being wooed to do a one-of-a-kind, breaking ground assignment that COULD have meant leaving our group. It's a small but vital group (ours is). I was heartbroken about it yesterday, and between that and the physical stress of not sleeping lately had to take the first shot of nitroglycerine I've needed in 3 months.

Found out today that NBG made a condition of keeping us together as a condition of accepting this offer. YAY!!!!! He is as important as M is to me at this point. Actually, he, Lou and M are so similar it's eerie. But definitely makes the place one giant joy to be in. The people make this place feel like Apple in the 70s,
instead of the IBM of the 50s that a lot of similar orgs feel like.

But folks, today had a personal come-down. The cashier in the drugstore asked if I was a senior, because they have discounts for 55+.

I was a bit shocked. Most people put my age at mid-40s.

Oh well, had to happen sooner or later.

Am officially ummmm over the hill, old, over-ripe whatever.

Oh well. Next!!

Have a great evening, world. Love ya'll!

Bridg

6 Comments:

  • At 12/08/2005 09:49:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    I guess I should quit trying to get carded at the liquor store then?

     
  • At 12/08/2005 10:39:00 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said…

    I swear, the respect and love you show for these guys is just incredible. I do hope that you get this same kind of treatment. As far as I can tell, you seem to be the driving force of the group. Glue so to speak. I almost want to see if I can join this merry group of intellectuals.

     
  • At 12/09/2005 09:18:00 AM, Blogger Mel said…

    What is it they say... it's not how old you are that matters, but how old you feel??? Well, then I should be taking advantage of that senior discount... :\

    I agree with Jack... you seem to care about these guys so much. And question... were you and M romantically involved in the past?? I think I just assumed that from reading all these months...

     
  • At 12/09/2005 07:37:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    tshsmom, I actually complain when they don't card me (because they can't sell cigarettes to minors here) at the grocery stores!

    Jack, yep that's exactly what it is, respect and love. And I get that from them. According to NBG they 'love me like a mother' and my press is good. Am I the driving force? Not sure. NBG is for sure, and these guys are self-motivating little dynamos. Hope I am the glue! Would LOVE to have you here and we need another M level person (hint hint hint!!). Some day I'm going to screw up, it's inevitable/human. That is gonna be one sorry day for me ...know what i mean? because I hold all of them so close.

    Mel, here's how the exchange went:

    me: love ya
    him: ditto

    and we agreed that was as far as it was going because we work together and we'd both ummm gotten down with co-workers before and it wasn't good.

    Later (we are fighting about him permanently hiring a real a--hole):

    him: this relationship means a lot to me and I don't want to jeopardize it.
    me: me too. OK I can live with it.

    And on it goes. We do love each other, are intimate on an intellectual level but that's all it's ever been. He likes tiny blondes, I am the precise opposite of that (once he did say 'thank God you're not blonde' I threatened to dye my hair). We complement each other's strengths and both are students of psychology.

    Weird relationship, close as hell, not sexual. We're so close that it would feel wrong.

    Hope that makes sense....Bridg

    p.s. menopause is killing my libido, and what little is left is getting overrun by the need to sleep :))

     
  • At 12/11/2005 05:47:00 AM, Blogger jipzeecab said…

    I got over the "55" thing real quick when I discovered I could get into first run movies for $5.00 instead of $8.00..although I don't use it for anything else yet..

     
  • At 12/11/2005 10:17:00 AM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    jipzee, not sure if I mentioned it in the post, but did mention this during a meeting on friday. I was the only female in it. Several of the guys, including M, said in a chorus 'we would have said yes', i.e. they were seniors.

    My response: MEN!!!

    Thanks for the tip tho...have 2 years to go....

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home