Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas for Cowboys

The song has nothing to do with the post! It's an old John Denver song that sounds more like a lullaby than anything else.

Hope you are fine tonight, world? Things are looking fine here..there was a very slow, sparkly snow this morning. It was like walking into a snowglobe. A really neat way to go to work, especially since the sun was shining brightly at the time.

It didn't last. Stopped snowing after a while. My office has walls but no windows, so I had no idea if the sun lasted the day. And of course, it was another day of wall to wall meetings. M and I and Marc are negotiating something pretty high profile, it's that groundbreaking project thing. It turns out that one of the big bosses, who is leaving this org, had not passed on the word about the project, but it affected a LOT of his people in a big way. Since we deliver it on Friday (or thereabouts), M and I started meeting with the big boss' managers (there are dozens. This is why the wall to wall meetings). They were horrified to find out that this had been going on without their input, and are scrambling to help us. It's very gratifying to see how helpful and willing everyone is. The deadline is freakin' scary, and NBG gave a copy of an intermediate product to THE BIG BOSS of BOSSES (the head of this org) a few days ago. I was horrified, but no damage appears to have been done.

Came home and fell asleep. Woke up halfway through NCIS, which thank heavens was a repeat. But was that exhausted physically and mentally. This is after almost three months on the new job. M is doing so well it's almost scary. He's spent years (except the one we spent working together, last year) in a non-operational fairy-tale type org that doesn't do much. NBG (our boss) was concerned about M's ability to function in a place as applied as this one. I wasn't, that's why M didn't fit in where he was.

But neither of us are kids anymore, and the pace of this place is pretty impressive (fast). So far so great. People like us, like him (whew) and he's fitting in like a glove. It's only been three weeks for him, and he has an hour's drive (roughly) each way to work plus he plays hockey twice a week. And is 54. I hope he can keep it up. He did admit to being tired (NO KIDDING) and I sure am. The pace and work is invigorating and we both love NBG.

Guess what I"m saying is the pace is quite demanding, the work is very worthwhile and key and I hope that we can keep it up. On this one project (it's a key one for all of us), we are so close to the finish line you can smell it. Can't relax or let up till that happens.

Why do so many people set Christmas as a deadline??? Oh well, that's life!

Mom doing great. Am watching her like a hawk, given last year's heart attack. EVERYONE's reminded her that she is in no way to get stressed/worried this year, none of us wants a repeat of last year. But she's a worrier, it's in her chemistry. It scares the bejabbers out of me that I've heard/had two deaths nearby me recently.

Hope that all is going smoothly where you are. Hope Raven has snow, hope that all of us are safe, happy and warm.

Nighty night, world.

Bridg

4 Comments:

  • At 12/20/2005 11:51:00 PM, Blogger lime said…

    hey thanks for the comments on my belsnickel post! i grew up in berks county, PA. we used to go to zern's farmer's market aka 'the sale.' ivan hoyt of wapwallopen, PA is my favorite hex sign artist. i have one of his and have given his signs as gifts.

     
  • At 12/21/2005 10:31:00 AM, Blogger karma said…

    I can't wait to hear what the big project is.

     
  • At 12/21/2005 04:08:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    My Mom worries so much that she's lost all her hair!
    Christmas ought to feel REALLY good to you guys if you get this project done.

     
  • At 12/21/2005 09:17:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Lime, it is SOOOO cool to meet someone who knows Zern's!! That was our big thing to do as a family each Saturday. Love hex signs!!! Don't know any artist in particular, just love the color and ideas..

    Karma, Can't say (yet) because I haven't even admitted what sector I work in. It impacts something you do to live several times a day, I'll go that far.

    Tshsmom, Funny thing, I had a really bad year in 1990, and lost about half my hair. It grew back but man that was weird. Will be great to get this thing done. Have only 1.5 days left and things are coming along like a herd of turtles in May (that's a stampede)...and YAH it'll feel fantastic!!!

    p.s. ALL her hair?? My mom's losing a lot of hair too...

    Bridg

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home