Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

It's Alright

Loved the Travelling Willburries (or however you sp ell the name). Did they ever make a CD and if so, WHO is hiding it?

Hi world! Just popped in to update ya on M's interview.

They have a deal. His pay for the rest of the fiscal year is coming from my budget and I have just enough to do it. Think they hit it off. New Boss Guy would have liked more experience, but went for it (pending reference checks of course); I think M liked him too. They spent quite some time at lunch (good sign). Colleagues liked him. He's very handsome (we are a mostly female group and boy did folks notice) and a good guy. They picked up on those two things. Once he's here they'll find out how smart he is. He was happy (cautiously), I sure was and think New Boss Guy was. Hoped for more of a rave review but am very glad that they agree that there's a fit. Let's put it this way, I have a weird assortment of experience (in about 5 areas) and it fits this group exactly. M has experience in 1 in depth--much more than I do--and 1/2 in the one he'll eventually work in and another 1 area (managing).

Am not nuts about managing but heard this a.m. that New Boss Guy said that 'she's awesome and is doing a fantastic job' about me. Took my f'ing breath away I kid you not. Those were the exact words and will never forget them. What was even better was that the person that he said that to (another more senior one of 'the kids' who wants to join the group but can't--has job hopped a bit too much--) was waiting for me to come into the building this a.m. to tell me this and was grinning ear to ear. THAT was a bonus and a big one. This guy doesn't get excited. It was so.damn.sweet.

When New Boss Lady comes back M and I will be colleagues for a few months, then M gets promoted into another job (the 1/2 content one). If NBL doesn't come back, well, we will still work as colleagues anyway, and NBG's alternative idea was to put M where I am now (i.e. I would not have to manage anymore) and NBL into another job in our group, same level and me in a parallel one working in a related field. I replied that this would be fine with me, anywhere he wants to put me (there are 3-4 options) I am very happy to be in (and so far am working my big white *ss off in). If he wants me to manage, like now, OK I'll manage. Tekkie work? Even better.

Hope this happy happy joy joy stuff isn't making you all sick to read. Am just very happy, ecstatic that NBG is happy, over the moon that M has a job and better, has a job with me/us/here. No I do NOT want to be M's boss, but when he was my boss he shared management with me and of course I will do absolutely no less with him (and the others for that matter). He's more cut out for this stuff than I am. Emotional-wise. I mentioned that time period when I called him several times a day for reassurance (it felt like my fingernails were being pulled out by hot tongs by Mr. B, going in to work was a real major effort, etc.). He said that he is now where I was then. OOOOOHH did I get that. OK time to help M, time to help the org where I work (and this is gonna be great), just time to move.

We talked for an hour before his lunch. I briefed him as much as humanly possible. You should have seen his eyes. They just danced and sparkled and he grinned the whole time. I'm happy here and he liked seeing it. Plus it's damn interesting. Then he and NBG went off to lunch, NBG tossing back a grin at Lou and I (we cracked up) as they walked away from us.

I really really really hope that this comes through. First, we need his help in my area. Second, he's a real asset especially managerially (the people side) that NBG feels weak on. Third, I want to help both M and NBG and am sure that this is the way to do it.

Ohhhh how I hope. Am now back on terra firma and calm. Did fall asleep by 2:00 which is a whole lot better than the last 4 or so days.

Do any of you do this? Worry so much about folks you care about? Feel their joy/pain? Take action to help them? I do. M, well OK he's unique but not that unique from others (mostly junior support folks or starting policy folks, other more senior folks), in several very senior cases. Just can't stand to see good talent and people go to waste. Someone reached out to me, twice, to save/develop me with no agenda other than to pass on their knowledge. Kind of feel that this is a sacred trust, from this one man in particular (a lovely friend who died about 3 years ago suddenly), to pass on. It just pours out of the core, like it did from him.

Is that what 'paying it forward' is? There's no thought of benefit or obligation or power (icky stuff) involved, just 'the right thing to do'.

OK sorry this must sound like preaching. Am just thinking out loud here. Lou need the same kind of helping hand but I know absolutely nothing about the fields she was in to help. Just thought of a contact or two tho who might be able to point me at something.

OK enough rambles. This has been the M update for Tuesday Nov. 15 at 10:25.

This is your reporter, Bridget Jones, signing off.

And NOT sliding down a flag pole!!

5 Comments:

  • At 11/15/2005 11:19:00 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Sometimes she shines, doesn't she? Don't question it, just run with it!

    And I worry about people all the time...

     
  • At 11/16/2005 11:37:00 AM, Blogger Storm said…

    The Traveling Wilburys released two CD's before Roy Orbison and George Harrison passed away. They are entitled 'Volume 1' & 'Volume 3'.

     
  • At 11/16/2005 03:02:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    That's EXACTLY what "paying it forward" is. You MUST see the movie, it's a real tearjerker!

     
  • At 11/16/2005 04:28:00 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said…

    Loved the Travelling Willburries (or however you sp ell the name). Did they ever make a CD and if so, WHO is hiding it?

    Yes, they released one or two. I'm sure you can find them on Amazon.

    Glad you're liking it there. You were so unhappy at the last place.

     
  • At 11/16/2005 07:14:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    WC you're an angel!! OK am off and running. VERY glad others like you also worry for others!!

    Thank you STORM! Now I know what I'm looking for!!

    Tshsmom, thanks for the warning I avoid those tearjerker things. Unless they're happy tears!

    Zombie-Slayer...boy guess I was at least with Mr. B. This place isn't perfect of course but it is light years better than where I was. Just didn't know till I got away.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home