Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

What's Goin' On

Marvin Gaye
What's Going On
courtesy of: http://www.codehot.co.uk/lyrics/mnop/marvingaye/whatsgoingon.htm

Mother, mother, there's too many of you crying
Brother, brother, brother, there's far too many of you dying
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today, hey
Father, father, we don't need to escalate
You see, war is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today, oh
Picket lines - sister - and picket signs - sister
Don't punish me - sister - with brutality - sister
Talk to me - sister - so you can see - sister
Oh, what's goin' on - what's goin' on, what's goin' on - what's goin' on
Heah, what's goin' on - what's goin' on, oh, what's goin' on - what's goin' on
Ah ah - ay-ay-ay-ay-ay - right on - right on - ay-ay-ay-ay-ay
Mother, mother, everybody thinks we're wrong
Oh, but who are they to judge us
Simply 'cause our hair is long
Oh, you know we've got to find a way
To bring some understanding here today, oh oh oh
Picket lines - brother - and picket signs - brother
Don't punish me - brother - with brutality - brother
Come on, talk to me - brother - so you can see - brother
Now what's goin' on - what's goin' on, yeah, what's goin' on - what's goin' on
Tell me what's goin' on - what's goin' on,
I'll tell you now what's goin' on - what's goin' on
Ooooh - right on - right on - ay-ay-ay-ay-ay

Don't you just love the late Marvin Gaye, folks? I sure do. Well, his soul stuff. Couldn't stand that Tammy Terrel stuff. Too cute. But Marvin soul.....mmm

Very cold here, they're using the S word (snow)..and it sure feels and looks like it.

Mom doing very well (I can't wait to retire. All I want to do is sleep, read and watch TV. What's wrong with becoming one with the couch?). Sis still has a cold (over a week so far). M is in Toronto at a huge conference, networking. I'm staying here in the big O (ha ha ha). Have been to 200000 conferences too many. I'm sorry that the kids at work didn't go tho. Would have been great for them. But on the other hand, things are hopping chez the office. It's a workaholics dream. I just LOVE it!!!

Have finally reached the point where I think I am beginning to understand what's going on. Maybe not the entire history, but enough to find my way through it.

The office is still a palace. Boss (he is such a sweetie, really) dropped by to check the place out. Poor man! He just wanted to zone out and I had all this work stuff on the go (to tell him about). He looked vaguely startled when I started talking so I relaxed. Poor man!!

He agrees, place needs more art, so off I go on Saturday.

Hey finally got my eyes checked tonight after schwarmas with Lou. Now this might sound like a time-wasting stupid thing but it sooo wasn't! Was worried because Mom has glaucoma that they caught very early. My grandfather had it (Dad's side). Little bro was diagnosed a year or so ago with macular degeneration. OK Now I'm getting antsy. So went in to see an optomitrist and BOY am I glad I did. Had been at least 4-5 years since last appointment (with a different, never available doc on the other side of town whose staff asked me to re-phone them three different times--they kept losing files. )

Result: No macular degeneration. Pressure on the optic nerve (one of the tests for glaucoma) is on the 'high high high side of normal' so they're bringing me in every six months and doing a state of the art look at (my) peripheral vision (second sign of glaucoma). They can't treat it until you come down with it. And my eyesight got better. Seriously better. So new glasses time.

But there's other stuff to look out for and they're also risk factors for macular degeneration. You definitely do NOT want that (MD). Eventually you lose vision in the middle part of your field of vision. So you have peripheral, not central. It can fit the definition of 'legally blind'. Risk factors for MD? Wait till you see this:

*Being near or getting over 50 years old
*Having it in your family somewhere
*Being female
*Being overweight/obese
*Eating a high fat diet
*Overexposure of eyes to sunlight
*Diet insufficient in dark green veggies and antioxidants
*Smoking
*High cholesterol
*High blood pressure
*Far sightedness

Anyone else finding this scary? There are no symptoms in the early stages, no pain. I'm guilty of a LOT of those sins up there...

There are treatments, no cures. Not sure that there are MD cures but so many of the risk factors are things we can do something about. There is a vitamin complex sold for eye health called Vita-lux. They just happened to be on sale tonight. Bought some for me and for Mom.

Thank heavens my macula are 'beautiful' to quote this doctor. The maybe glaucoma well I could have seen that coming from both sides of the family.

If you're interested, and I think you should be (please) go see an optometrist at least once a year. Here are some good websites but they can't do the measurements that you'll need:
http://www.ahaf.org/macular/about/marisk.htm
http://www.eyemdlink.com/Condition.asp?ConditionID=55
http://www.agingeye.net/maculardegen/maculardegeninformation.php

Glaucoma used to be called the 'sneak thief of adult sight' due to its lack of symptoms and the body's ability to compensate for changes in the eye. Ditto re the need to actually go in and get measured.

From the site http://www.eyemdlink.com/Condition.asp?ConditionID=2, here are risk factors for glaucoma:
*Elevated intraocular (eye) pressure,
*Family history of glaucoma,
*Advanced age,
*Being of African-American descent,
*Cardiovascular disease (e.g., history of heart attack or stroke),
*Diabetes mellitus (sugar diabetes),
*Myopia (nearsightedness),
*High blood pressure, and
*Migraine headache

Here are some glaucoma sites
http://www.agingeye.net/glaucoma/glaucomainformation.php
http://www.ahaf.org/glaucoma/about/glrisk_body.htm
http://www.cvr.org.au/pages/common-eye-diseases/glaucoma-riskfactors.htm

I hope you'll go check them out. If this helps even one person, it'll be worth it. I'm taking my flipping diet a lot more seriously now.

Man you sure get it in the neck for being fat, huh? Seems like every body part just revolts (there's a joke there but it's way too easy to act on).

Night world. Sorry for preaching but this is really important...

6 Comments:

  • At 10/25/2005 10:36:00 PM, Blogger bsoholic said…

    Yikes the (S) word? Well I guess it is Canada. I am freaking out because the high today here was like 55. Burrrr, broke out the jacket and everything.

     
  • At 10/25/2005 10:39:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    My aunt had MD, so I've been watching it for several years now. Upped my spinach intake too. Does spinach dip count? Yum!

     
  • At 10/25/2005 11:20:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    bsoholic, why not visit beautiful O town in January, when it's -40? tee hee hee

    Tshsmom, gotta watch that one. Spinach is one of the things they recommended...of all green leafy stuff it's the least revolting (to me) so I'm following your lead here. Hey, first it was the colon thing, now this...hmmmmmmm

     
  • At 10/26/2005 09:13:00 AM, Blogger Storm said…

    That's one of my all time favorite songs. I love it.

    Very good of you to share information about glaucoma. Kudos to you.

     
  • At 10/26/2005 02:29:00 PM, Blogger Niccio Dartsmouth said…

    MD is nothing to look over either, i watched my aunt die from it. its a horrible wasting disease.

     
  • At 10/26/2005 06:40:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thanks Storm it's one of mine too! I'm still in shock about how easy it is to have glaucoma or macular degeneration. Yikes.

    Nicco I'm so sorry about your aunt. I was talking about macular degeneration but I bet you mean muscular dystrophy? You're right that is one horrible way to go.

    Bridg

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home