Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Friday, October 28, 2005

I've Got You Under My Skin

The Frankie Valli/Four Seasons version!

Hi world, I am FREEZING up here!

The furnace died today. Well actually a valve did but since the furnace is 19 years old, it's time for it to go.

And the dimensions of this planet, being rather small, were really brought home to me by the furnace repair guy tonight.

First, must confess that I am not all that careful with money. Downright reckless, and it bites me in the rear every once in a while. But for all that, I was paying two different companies to keep tabs on/maintain the a/c and the furnace.

So I found that the heat wasn't on tonight. It's chilly here too (about 2 celcius). Called company 1. Got a HUGE song and dance about how many calls the repair guy had to make, was I covered under these plans (I was), well it'll cost $90 plus anyway, he can't get here before 10...blah blah blah this went on non-stop for a while. I said that I would call tomorrow, thanked him and hung up. Steamed. Not at the furnace, at this guy for adding to the problem that I already had. Called company 2. Spoke with a DELIGHTFUL guy who was glad that I was nearby, he'd be here in under an hour. And bless his heart, he was too!

I got him a chair to sit in (he didn't ask) while he was working on the furnace, and I stayed down there to keep him company and chat (he sort of suggested it). Found out that his aunt was a old pal of mine, who had worked in the same place that I just left (the one that had the incredibly poor taste of hiring Mr. B). She'd left years before and joined a 'sister' of the group I'm now with. Not only that, but I'd MET this guy 8 years ago at her house at her son's birthday party!! He remembered me/my voice. Holy crap! I have a horrible memory for stuff like that, but what are the odds of THAT happening??? He only works 'emergency' once a month and there are 8 repair technicians. Holy crap again.

So anyway we had a dee lightful chat, and he said that he wouldn't bother putting money into this furnace (I had been told that last year about it too by someone else). Said that furnaces usually last 10-15 years, and that this one didn't owe me anything. I asked about replacing it. He does this on the side. The price is totally unreal (very low). I was astonished and agreed on condition that it doesn't get him into trouble. So, new furnace on Monday/Tuesday and a renewed pal-ship.

Do you BELIEVE that??? How totally cool. What a small planet it is to be sure!

Mom coming down with a cold. I brought her meds last night and she's a lot better. Feel like I"m getting one but that's because there's no heat lol. Good thing I'm usually a very warm person and this is a very warm house (middle townhouse). There's a plug-in oil heater in the garage but don't think I'll need it.

Work going very well ('outstanding' according to boss YAY what a great guy!!!). One of my more important projects is getting much less attention than it deserves, because I"m doing 2.5 jobs. Will have to fix that. But do love the boss and co-workers. A lot. And they like me too, it's great (got good feedback from and about someone else today). Have been swamped with work, but it's because the poor lady I'm working for hasn't had someone to lean on to do this kind of stuff. It takes a fair bit of experience with negotiation to give people comfort that you know what you're talking about, and that's hard to do if you're a young kid (I mean the smartest one just turned 24 yesterday) just starting out. Some can carry this out, some can't. The one who's supposed to do this job not only is a young kid but lacks initiative. No biggie (so far).

How long has it been? 6 weeks? Wow. Doesn't feel like it.

Am loving it. Am happier than I"ve been in many years. And learning--sheesh the learning!!

But enough about that, shiver shiver (I'm blogging in PJs in the cat/computer room. It's chilly back here).

So world, hope that you are well? Having fun? Staying warm?

Enjoy this weekend, it's when we get to change the clocks back YAHOO!!!

Snoozetime!!

Cheers, Bridg (singing "it's a small world after all"....)

7 Comments:

  • At 10/29/2005 10:02:00 AM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Maybe your furnace couldn't handle the clean ductwork?
    Hopefully the new furnace will be more efficient and save you money. God knows heat bills will be a bugger this winter. I've upped my fuel budget twice since last summer. I set money aside throughout the year for heating costs.
    The word is budget, Bridg; B-U-D-G-E-T!;)

     
  • At 10/29/2005 10:53:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    lol Budget...I hear ya. The one they're looking at is mid efficieny. I wonder if it should be high efficiency.

    Wonder if you right about the ductwork, but actually it was an age thing. You know how cars start to go between 10 and 15 years old? Well, the normal life of furnaces (so I'm told) is 10 to 15 years. Mine's 19. It needed a $400 valve replaced and I didn't think that it was worth it (neither did the mechanic).

    YOu're right,budgeting is good. It's just that the number of surprises is well amazing.

    But hey that's life.....

     
  • At 10/30/2005 08:34:00 AM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    I'd check the price difference on a high efficiency. When dealing with appliances, we usually opt for mid-efficiency. Not worth the price difference, but with a furnace, it might be worth it.

     
  • At 10/30/2005 11:05:00 AM, Blogger .: raven :. said…

    i 'm so happy that you're feeing happy about things ... that's awesome.

    glad about the furnace situation .. that stuff is so expensive!!!

     
  • At 10/30/2005 12:46:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Hi folks! The new mid efficiency furnace is coming in at $2100, and the furnace guy/nephew of a friend said that the extra money wasn't worth it--thanks Tshsmom!!

    Raven you are such a sweetie. HOpe that this blog isn't becoming boring, but am gaining so much energy and lightheartedness from I don't know where that it's hard to contain.

    Expensive is right. Also have to get snow tires for the car and 2 caps on teeth (about $1K-1.5K each) so this is going to be a pricey month.

    Hope that both of you are equally fine?

    Bridg

     
  • At 10/30/2005 02:31:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Hang on to that boy; honest repairmen are hard to find!

     
  • At 10/30/2005 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Totally agree Tshsmom! I also have a treasured garage guy....

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home