Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Still The One

Hi folks/world!

Did I ever mention how much I love you guys too?

Came home today feeling VERY discouraged and inadequate. Read some of the work that others, now gone, had done in this group (in the new job) and it is light years ahead of anything ever done in my old group. OK it could have been done with/by consultants and doubtlessly was planned carefully and with some excellent senior minds, but still ...I came here with a whole lot of very strong publicity (I mean really good references) and hope I'm up to the task. Plus no one seems to know where our funds are or if we have any (and I don't want to call the lady I'm acting for, she needs the rest at home)..formalized work plans apparently weren't done..am presenting material I know nothing about on Thursday to all the big shots in this organization and this kind of thing has never been done by the group before...so I"m winging it.. a lot. Not used to it (after 14 years things tend to take on a pattern or two. That's good and bad). The only person with a lot of expertise has been here six months and hasn't done a study yet (just finished some off that others started). When M joined us he had me and Charles (29 years) to lean on...so I'm feeling a lot in left field.

On the other hand the group is quite young, very enthusiastic and smart--and nice. One of them left another group to join us and made it VERY clear that she wants to work with ME (wow!). All of them have masters' degrees, including the admin support person. That makes me the least academically qualified person in the group! My (late) mentor, a wonderful guy named Ron, didn't have a degree but is still quite famous in this field. So I guess the degree thing isn't so bad. Maybe it's just been a long hard and fast week? I don't want to let these guys down. They're just too good, have too much potential. Plus the work has huge and quick impacts. That''s the bottom line.

Anyway, came home today feeling inadequate and apprehensive. Then started reading all of your comments over the past few days and perked right up. Thanks so much, you are wonderful! Over the years, have found that you can do wonders if you think you can. There's this saying attributed to Lincoln (I think)--whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right.

OK I can.

Just stick with me, OK?

Mom's doing just great. The Most Spoiled Cat In The Universe is very happy (she loves weekends). Leg is much better. Decided that the shopping I didn't do last weekend HAS to get done this weekend (I.love.shopping), and actually got to sleep last night without meds for the first time since ....geez at least April. It's fall, the weather's fantastic.

Plus if these guys picked me, something must be going right.

Thanks for hanging in there guys. It means much more to me than I'll ever be able to express.

Love y'all to bits!

Bridg

4 Comments:

  • At 10/01/2005 09:55:00 AM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Now you know how I feel when I have anxiety attacks over homeschooling! We're winging it after much research on Special Ed. A LOT of trial and error. Being a perfectionist, error and the unknown zone freak me out.
    Hang in there! You're not the only one fumbling through life, if that's any comfort ;)

     
  • At 10/01/2005 10:26:00 AM, Blogger .: raven :. said…

    ((((((((((( Brig ))))))))))))))

     
  • At 10/01/2005 09:42:00 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said…

    Love y'all to bits!

    Back at ya babe!

    You'll be fine, don't worry. As for that quote, not sure if that was Lincoln. I think it was a President though. I'll have to research that quote.

     
  • At 10/01/2005 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Tshsmom, I so get it now!! Thanks for reminding me that we're all in pretty much the same boat. It's IMMENSELY comforting!!!

    Thank you Raven!! Right back atcha!

    Zomb you are definitely the best!! Thanks for the vote of reassurance and glad that SOMEONE else knew that quote lol..

    Bridg

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home