Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Midnight At The Oasis

Send your camels to bed (but not to MINE lol!!)

Weeeellll folks you all were so very right. Not sure I mentioned this last night, but I decided to get a medical book for Mom that also has a symptom chart (you know, a set of flowcharts that go from symptom to cause?). The Harvard University Medical something or other. It was the best one in Chapters. Thought that knowledge is power and I find it reassuring to know a bit more about what could be happening. Also got her some truffles and a dozen (small) rumballs, a family cure-all (only partly kidding there). And visited with her until 10:00. She had a doctor's appointment at 10 to 9 today.

This a.m. I show up to take her to the appointment. It's 15 to 9, and she decides to sit down and eat. Not only that, but my Mom is the only person in the world who can take an hour to eat one piece of toast. I stopped her after she'd eaten half of the toast and got her to the doctor. She had trouble and had to stop on the way into the office. Got sweaty and trembly waiting. Passed out after she got up to walk into the doctor's office. Nitro had no impact on this either. Turns out she'd passed out last night too before going to sleep. They called an ambulance, and at one point her blood pressure was 86/68 or 86/58. Pretty poor anyway. It's supposed to be closer to 120 on the top. Anyway, I called Bro and Sis. The ambulance took her to the hospital where she went when she had her heart attack i nDecember. The doctor who looked at her in emergency took one look 'up her bottom' and said 'holy cow, I bet you fainted!'. Not the usual doctor talk, huh? They gave her fluids by IV and mouth. She looks much better now (this was by noon).

So they decided to look at her upper GI tract (put something down her throat). Gave her valium. Found a few little stomach ulcers. Nothing that could have caused the bleeding she had. Great (says Bridg, in utter sarcasm. Ulcers are the nicest possible finding that could have explained the bleeding). Tomorrow they start at the other end. Hope for polyps, guys, that's the best of the options left. My maternal grandmother died of cancer of the colon. Bro, Sis and I spent the afternoon/day with mom (well I slept for a few hours at home). She has a great room, etc. but I'm scared to death. Guess we all are...but fortunately we're such smart asses that we didn't show it around Mom. We were too busy naming various liquors and spirits that could have qualified as the 'clear fluids' that she's allowed to have if the staff wasn't so picky. The doctors''ll do the ....what is it called? Colonoscopy? ....tomorrow morning. Will be there early, don't want her to hear whatever they find without one of us being there.

Her 78th birthday, and my sister's 45th, is Monday. Mom had her heart attack/stroke on Christmas. I asked what she had planned for Easter so that I could get ready (only half kidding)...sheesh.

Little Bro had called Mom prior to the passing blood thing in the afternoon. Says he doesn't think he can stand much more of the maniac that he's married to. GOOD, I said (when Mom told me)--the moron's already tried to stab him, what's to stop her from poisoning him? The faster he gets out of there the better (it's been over 10 years and his mother in law is even crazier). His poor daughter turned to LB one night and asked him to do something bad so that her mom would yell at LB instead of at her (the daughter). What a nightmare. Wish there was a way to require folks to get therapy. And don't say Family Services/Childrens' Aid, I tried those.

Folks, they come in threes. I'm waiting half heartedly.....

Also decided that I don't really like this treadmill thing. Am going to ask them to take it back (actually walked on it once, for 15 minutes). Feel stupid doing it but....have to get the car into the garage by 2:00 tomorrow (second time I"ve scheduled this damn appointment); the a/c maintenance guys who swore that I don't have an account with them, and who later found it, are coming on Thursday afternoon. Had a lunch planned on Friday but cancelled. Am sure something will blow up by then. Or fall in. Or.........OK am being a tad dramatic here.

Hope Mom's OK. Really really do. Thanks for all the lovely comments you left, guys and next time, if there is a next time, she goes straight to emergency.

ARGH!!

Bridg...

4 Comments:

  • At 8/09/2005 10:15:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    You're right, Mom definitely needs something better to do on holidays!

    Remember, colon cancer is a LOT more cureable now. I know several people that have had it and are cancer free now. I'm not saying that's what it is, but it IS the worst case scenario.
    My prayers are with you guys!

     
  • At 8/09/2005 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thanks tshsmom for the info. Sure am hoping for the best..and ty for the prayers.

    As for getting Mom a new hobby, count on it!!!

     
  • At 8/10/2005 07:39:00 AM, Blogger Mel said…

    I thinking of you, babe. Hoping for Mom's quick recovery.

    Please keep us posted!

     
  • At 8/10/2005 08:38:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Thanks Mel, great news!! THe prayers sure worked and thank you all so very much! See tonight's post....

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home