Ravings and Rantings

Welcome to my cloud! It's got a nice silver lining somewhere.....Some ranting, some raving--mostly positive stuff,lots of jokes (I can't stay serious). Nothing going on here that a pina colada or mohito can't fix.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Cat Came Back

Hey world, how goes it!?

Have you ever had a dream so real that you weren't sure you were dreaming? I had a really vivid one about my west coast buddy last night. Still remember most of it. Wow. No not dirty, but really intense.

Today was a real mix. Am helping Pauly with something, no big deal. Gave Issy some comments on some of work done for her by a contractor (it was really not well done) and THAT started fireworks according to her with the contractor. The contractor forgot that I'm still working here, am well known in the field, and definitely won't forget what he said and did what he did to Issy and me. If I can't trust someone, I don't work with them. Plus he/they were dead wrong. That's a combo that definitely can't work (the combo being bad work/not trustworthy). One of them complained to Mr. B that Issy wasn't giving him enough freedom. You got it, Mr. B gave Issy marching orders to leave the guy alone without getting her input/perspective. Guess they're gonna try that again since it worked the first time. But it'll backfire big time--why would any of us work with this guy again if this is how he behaves? They've now demonstrated to four of us why we should not work with them.

Also this a.m., one of the (trouble) contractors is in the same office as S (that breaks quite a few ethics rules, by the way). I was chatting quietly with S, no big deal, when the contractor got up, left the office, and returned in less than 5 minutes. Five seconds later Mr. B walked into the office looking for me (my office is further down the hall). He knew I was with S and the contractor. He had questions that took less than 3 minutes to answer, and frankly at his level/salary they shouldn't even have been questions. Did the contractor grumble to Mr. B about my being there? Oh I'm sure of it. Especially given his other behaviour today.

The sick part is that this idiot used to work with us before retiring. While he was part of our group he hit on me constantly for the better part of 18 years. AND I paid for 2/3 of his $200+ retirement present! And organized his retirement party because no one else was going to. Charming. He's damn lucky I didn't put a harassment complaint in on him, I had plenty of grounds. So did every other female in our group. Not surprisingly, he is a real pal of Mr. B. Noticing a pattern here? Anti-female, incompetent, and guess who's their biggest pal....

Oh well. We also went out to lunch for Issy's birthday, and get this, the contractors that caused all the grief (in the morning) came with us. How's THAT for hypocrisy?They even ASKED to come. Ick. I talked to the new boss to make sure that Issy has some back up and is protected from this numbskull (actually there are two of them). Not that it will matter with the lips of both contractors firmly affixed to the butt of Mr. B.

New Boss and I also went over a nagging problem to clear up a task I'm finishing. Got it done quickly. He's got a great logical mind. Not as decisive as M but damn good. Am sure that in a few months he'll be good enough at his job to be driving Mr. B (the rest of the way) insane.

Sure hope to heavens I'm not here to see it. Have seen this act before and it sickened me enough the first time.


Am I glad I'm leaving? Oh yah. I'll reread this post every time I get sentimental about this place.

M called and wanted to do beer or lunch. Since lunch wasn't possible we scheduled beer for tomorrow. He's very angry/bitter still about Mr. B. It really depressed me, on top of the other stuff that went on today. I hope that beer tomorrow is better because I don't want to be in a negative place on Friday. If M starts up I'll have to leave or explain it to him. Can't say that I blame him but don't want to be unemployed because of it.

What an insane world this is! Folks like Mr. B and the idiot contractors take in literally over $100K a year, and are pretty secure in their warped little worlds, while the ethical and talented M is looking for work. What's wrong with this picture?

Tshsmom asked me how this prize (Mr. B) got his job. I've been thinking about this and here is my theory (hardly original) --organizations have a culture. It's supported by the masses/throngs at the bottom, but is really set by the 'tone at the top'. Folks at the top do key hiring, the big bosses, and from what I"ve seen usually hire people just like them. That's where the problem is. If you have a bad apple at the top, they hire more like them, and so on and so on. The top bad apples, top apples in general actually, don't usually stay long. Five years max. But the other apples that they hire stay much longer, usually 10-20 years. That's when the rot sets in. We had a bad apple, really bad, that hired 9 others. Can you imagine how far that went? Yep we're still suffering from that one, although that BA's been gone a few years.

Alternatively, you can get some folks (bad apples) who cause trouble wherever they go. To get rid of them with minimum pain, these guys either get promoted (and out) or moved sideways (and out). They are so bad that their bosses are desperate to get rid of them. It's not at all uncommon to 'promote the problem'. That's how this particular person got the job he's in today. Plus, as mentioned in my reply/comment, no one cares about our little group.


Oh great now I'm depressed. Sorry for the rant, off to eat pizza. Hugs to all, Bridg


p.s. Did you notice where you are how nice the weather was? Today was clear, cool (well, 25 degrees), breezy--excellent. Hope it was similar where you are.

10 Comments:

  • At 7/20/2005 07:32:00 PM, Blogger Adrian said…

    I hate idiot bosses. Its a worldwide phenomenon. I |SERIOUSLY feel your pain on this one.

    Although having said that, being unemployed right now, I'd kill for a boss. Oh well..

    Luckily I have the weather. DOH! Im in Northern Ireland... grey, grey and greyer still. : )

    Just kidding. It was actually not too bad today.

     
  • At 7/20/2005 07:39:00 PM, Blogger MorningRose said…

    sorry to hear about the boss and the dude that retired and hit on you(and others?), it's actually too hot, lol it got up to 106 on monday, about 100 on tuesday and today well i'm really not sure cause i have'nt been outside lol.
    talk2Ul8tr:P!!!!!!
    (p.s. lol this is Palmer i'm a usuall on bs and thomcats site lol, i also have my own blog though)lol ",

     
  • At 7/20/2005 08:54:00 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    I get it now! My Dad worked for the gov't for 40 yrs and he said NEVER hire the guy with the glowing recommendation. This was a SURE sign that they were trying to get rid of him!

     
  • At 7/20/2005 09:51:00 PM, Blogger .: raven :. said…

    did i notice what??? how nice the WHAT was? the WEATHER????

    you mean the 107 it was here today???????????

    UGHHHHHHHHHHHH

    i'm moving to Ireland.

     
  • At 7/20/2005 09:52:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Hi Adrian..hey thanks for the reminder that mine isn't the only bosshole (MAN I love that expression!). That's some union the morons have. Also feel for you too being unemployed and hope/pray it isn't for long. Glad at least the weather was OK.

    Those guys can cause so much pain. If I ever did or do that to anyone, I hereby commission anyone reading this to shoot me!

    Hey morningrose/Palmer, glad to hear from you and thanks for the sympathy, it helps! 106 holy CATFISH that's ridiculous. Will check out your blog...I love fifthcircleofcubiclehell. It's perfect.

    Tshsmom, you dad was one smart cookie and definitely right. I had never heard of that before I became (and later quit being) a boss. Wish I had--wound up hiring some of the WORST *ssholes....Bridg

     
  • At 7/20/2005 09:54:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Sorry Raven dummy here can't type tonight (have not had a drop to drink either).

    107!!! YE gods that's gotta be some kind of record. Wonder if it's better or worse that Denver's a mile up?

    I'm with ya. Let's head on over to the auld sod.

    To quote a former colleague: let's blow this pop stand. Hey are you feeling better, I hope??
    Bridg

     
  • At 7/21/2005 07:57:00 AM, Blogger Mel said…

    I also feel your pain. I worked in healthcare for a number of years, and the bad apple theory is TOTALLY true. I was so glad to get in the Fed. Gov. It's such a refreshing change....

    Hang in there!

     
  • At 7/21/2005 09:13:00 AM, Blogger bsoholic said…

    Thanks for the props Bridget. The weather here was 97 degrees with 90% humidity. You break out in a sweat just looking outside.

     
  • At 7/21/2005 10:24:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    Hey Mel! Always glad to see that kitty...let me get this right, health care was worse than government? Yikes glad you escaped and hope BA does too. Soon.

    Bsoholic, sorry about your weather and (probably) Raven's. Is this ever going to end (lol, repeat frequently throughout life!).

    Bridg

     
  • At 7/21/2005 10:25:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said…

    p.s. Adrian, I've been spreading the bosshole word all over work/my buds. They are killing themselves laughing but it's caught on here firmly...Bridg

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home